ios 11 - how do you stop in-app purchases?

Discussion in 'iPhone Forum' started by Paul O, Nov 12, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Paul O

Paul O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Hi all,

My wife has just enabled the touch-id jobby on her iPhone to use he credit card payment stuff at shops. However, this seems to have done something with regards payments on the app store too.

Yesterday, we downloaded a 'free' game for our daughter, which had in-app purchases. Today, I've had a bill for £5.99 for the full unlock to the game. My daughter is only 6 so wouldn't have intentionally done this, so I suspect some kind of "allow all purchases for 15 minutes" is enabled.

But I cannot find it anywhere in the menus! On the invoice it points you to a help page, and the screenshots shown on there are not on my phone (Manage your iTunes Store and App Store password preferences). I assume this is because we are using ios11 with finger print ID. I've tried disabling finger print for the app store, but still no option on how long the auto-accept stays in place.

With every update to ios, I'm getting more and more frustrated with iPhone complexity.

Does anyone know where the setting is to make sure that everything that is paid for has to be authorised please?

Thanks!

2. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17,328
    I’m confused is this your wife’s devices or your daughters device. I’ve set the devices for my children up such that whenever they want to make a purchase I get a request for approval on my phone. That is through the parental controls.

Naturally I wouldn’t want to enable parental controls on my device as that would be annoying. I don’t let children play on my device that has payment methods linked to it.

3. Iceman10

Iceman10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    Settings ---> iTunes & App stores ----> Password settings ---> Change to always require.

I hope that does what you need.

4. Deeez Nuuutz

Deeez Nuuutz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,130
    You can also switch Restrictions on.

Settings > General > Restrictions

You can then turn off in-app purchases all together.