Ioniq EV: It's here at last

Discussion in 'Hybrid, PHEV & EV Electric Cars Forum' started by LV426, Nov 23, 2017.

Tags:
  1. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,959
    1(a): Depends on your tariff. The battery is 28kWh; that's 28 units at, in my case, 13.92ppu = £4.20. Add an inefficiency margin, it may cost a fiver. That can be massively reduced if you have any kind of split tariff where overnight power is less; you can program the car to only begin charging at (say) 11pm despite that you might plug it in earlier.
    1(b): Fast and rapid chargers away from home can cost anything from £0 upwards - yes, totally free. A rapid charger will fill the car to 94% and then shut off. From empty that takes 35 minutes. The most expensive rapid I have used cost £3 to connect plus 17ppu (Ecotricity). Those who get their domestic supply from Ecotricity don't pay the £3 connection fee.
    2: Depends on the season and the driving environment. 50+ mph cruising is far more efficient than stop-start town driving. On a recent 85 mile trip on motorway and dual-carriageway mostly, with cruise set at 73, we got 4.5 miles per kWh average in 3 degC temperature. Although that didn't run it dry of course (so the figure is a calculation) that equates to 126 miles range. Local short trips and that average drops to 3.5 or so. One other member here regularly gets in excess of 5 miles per unit by "hypermiling" (following something large like a coach using the reactive cruise control to maintain distance) - in warmer conditions.
    3: Interval 12 months. Costs - don't know per actual service, but they have a published deal whereby you pre-pay for two or more years. 3 years pre-paid is £349. 5 years is £449.

Aside from cost savings (I'm presently averaging less than 5p per mile WITHOUT trying to keep it down by using free chargers and without using an economy-seven or similar tariff) and aside from driving characteristics (which you have already experienced) there are a couple of things relevant to EVs specifically - you can program the car to pre-heat itself and de-ice its windscreen before you get in it; and if you do get in it cold, heating (which is, of course electric) is available immediately; you don't have to wait for the engine to get warm.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  2. anTTony

anTTony

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    Very useful info, I appreciate your help & time. Still a bit nervous about the switch and hoping the 40 mile round trip to work and back on A roads doesn’t significantly reduce range.

I think we have a night tariff so will have to work out our unit charge.

Thanks again.

3. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,959
    40 mile round trip, this car will do with ease, twice. Even at the stop-start short trip useage we do too much of, at 3.5 mp kWh, it'll do ~100 miles. Of that I have no doubt. It's my belief, also, that the actual battery fitted is bigger than 28kWh, but its use is limited in the software so as to extend its life and to allow for some degradation before it drops below spec. Battery is guaranteed for 8 years - IIRC the small print says that would be to work at minimum 80%; it would still do a 40 mile round trip twice before needing a charge.

4. anTTony

anTTony

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    Brill... only thing of concern is the new leaf claiming 200 miles which is out in Feb...

Also I think on my tariff it would cost about 2-3 pounds per charge which would be dirt cheap. My current car costs me roughly 7-8 pounds per day in diesel! Also no car tax on the electric and an insurance quote on the ioniq was half my existing car at 250 a year!

5. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40,984
    I wouldn't discount the New Leaf without looking at one @anTTony, unless it costs a lot more :)

6. gangzoom

gangzoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +989
    Even a used 24kWh Leaf will do 40 miles in the worst/coldest weather and get you home with range to spare!!

Running an EV requires a slightly different mindset to a combustion car when it comes to range.

Would you worry if your current car popped up a '20 miles left' warning on the dash just as you got home? Ofcourse you would, because you now need to go out of your way and fill it up at a petrol station.

If you have a home charger an EV takes away any worries about range/fuel status for fixed commutes. Because you can simply plug in at home!! So does it matter if you arrive home with 10 miles of range left? No it doesn't because you just plug in and over night it'll recharge it self back to full.

The only time range/consumption is important is on long trips, and going to places with no destination charging.

7. gangzoom

gangzoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +989
    Why is that an concern? An Ioniq EV will be more than good enough for your range use right now and remain so regardless of what else comes to market.

I think there is a misconception that some how in the next 5 years we are going to see EVs double in range due to new battery tech. The sad reality is EV battery tech hasn't really changed a lot in the last 5 years and unlikely to do so.

It may sound exciting Nissan has gone from a 24kWh battery to 40kWh in the new Leaf with an aim of 60 kWh in a few years......Can you guess how big a battery Tesla put in their very first EV, the Roadster back in 2008?? Tesla put a 55kWh usable battery, in a car smaller than the Leaf almost 10 years ago!!!

So as you can see in nearly 10 years of EV development battery capacity hasn't changed, the only change is a drop in price. If you find an EV that suits your needs now, just go for it, if you waiting on the next best thing your be waiting forever.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. anTTony

anTTony

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    Very true.. I suppose I was thinking bigger range = less charging, but I get your point. Just got to convince the boss now! She’s not convinced with the styling on either at the mo! Haha

9. gangzoom

gangzoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +989
    Now that is a by far the hardest and most important job, good luck!! :)

10. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,959
    As gangzoom says, frequency of charging is an irrelevance except when you embark on a journey which takes you beyond its round trip range, between spells at home. You leave the thing connected to your fast charger at home all the time it's not in use. That means that EVERY time you get into it, it's good for 100+ miles. And this charging takes zero minutes*, because you don't sit and watch it; you plug it in and walk away. It doesn't consume any more power doing it frequently; the car takes what it needs, no more. So twice as often, half as much each time, or vice versa.

You don't need 200 miles range, unless you are likely to travel either 200 miles to a destination where you can recharge, or 100 miles to somewhere you can't (and there are no opportunities en route). And certainly not for 20 miles x 2 comute. That's not to suggest the new Leaf isn't a good, or even a better, car; I have no way to judge, because when I ordered mine, the Ioniq was the budget EV to beat (IMO) and the Leaf was a much lesser animal.

* well, a minute or less to plug and unplug. And from 0-full takes about 4.5 hours with a dedicated 7kW point.

Installation at home of a 7kW point is highly subsidised by the government; I believe YOU pay £300 towards it for a standard install. When I got mine, Hyundai were giving them away. Whether they still are.... ??

11. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40,984
    As above, 40 miles a day is easily attainable by any EV on the market today. We'd probably have gone for an Ioniq if we'd known more about them, and could have coped with the lead time.

What you haven't said (unless I missed it) was whether this would be your only car?

12. anTTony

anTTony

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    Thanks guys, makes perfect sense! Nissan include the charge point and Hyundai you currently pay around £300 I think.. not fussed about this small setup cost tbh.

I think I’m just going to test drive the Nissan (at end of month when they have it in) and just buy the one I like the most!

Thanks for the real World comments from you guys..it really helps!

13. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,959
    Yep!

14. gangzoom

gangzoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +989
    Have fun, all EVs in my experience are great to drive. It than just comes down to cost, personal preference and needs.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. aandpwoodley

aandpwoodley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,099
    Could any confirm if they were able to get a 24hour test drive as I’m failing miserably & I’m not prepared to make a decision based on a 20 min drive.

16. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,959
    Ultimately, I didn't try. The dealer I window-shopped at would, without quibble, have let me have it for a period of time within one day (so, just about all day if I wanted) but were was some verbal reluctance to an overnighter. What would have happened had I pressed, I don't know. As it is, I did decide after an hour or so on my own in it, but the decision was partly assisted by my buying online, which gave me the comfort of a 2-week cooling-off period after delivery, as per the company's T&C which properly reflect Distance Selling Regs.

17. anTTony

anTTony

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    I just had 2 short test drives and took it on the type of roads I’m usually on. I didn’t ask for an extended. The finance deal put me off as there is no deposit contribution, no wriggle room on price and only partial allowance towards charge pod installation.

18. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,959
    @anTTony Might I suggest you look at the costs/finance available at Rockar? Mine was bought outright so I can't comment on Finance, but the site has all the calculators you need. Of course, finance begins with their cash price which is substantially lower than list and lower than it seems dealers are prepared to go. Rockar ARE a franchised Hyundai dealer.

Having test-driven at a real nearby dealer, I found out the Rockar cash price and offered the dealer the business on the same terms. They flatly refused so I bought it from Rockar of course. It makes not a blind bit of difference to the car, nor to the after-sales (which is done via any local dealer and they really don't care where it was bought). I'm not saying it will work for you, but mine was about £2k off the net list price after deducting the grant.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  19. aandpwoodley

aandpwoodley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,099
    Well looks like my Ioniq adventure could be over before it’s even started.

I’ve spoken to 3 dealerships within 50 miles of Oxford and none of them will allow me to have the car for 24 hours.

Seems they all only have one demonstrator & it’s in constant use.

Nissan have said I can have a 2.0 for 24-48 hours when it’s available so it’s going to be my first port of call.

I’m going to see if hiring one is possible but I’m honestly shocked I can’t get one for 24 hours & it’s really put me off dealing with Hyundai.

If anyone can help at all I’m based in Oxford.

Thanks

20. anTTony

anTTony

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    You’ll find that Nissan also give a 1000 pound dealer contribution, include the power pod supply and fit at no extra cost and have a better finance package. I am also waiting on my local dealer to get a demo car as well. Good luck!

21. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40,984
    Is the Nissan through Kidlington? that's where we got ours from.

22. aandpwoodley

aandpwoodley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,099
    Yes it is, I’m 95% certain I’m getting an EV now, just want to make sure a home charger can be installed on our drive way so have emailed Pod Point for more info.

I think I’m going for the Leaf 2.0

23. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40,984
    Pop round if you want a look at ours :thumbsup:

Or send a photo of your frontage. It's hard to believe they can't install one if you pass the questionnaire

24. aandpwoodley

aandpwoodley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,099
    Very kind of you [emoji106]

25. PRESSTOG

PRESSTOG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +450
    Also dont rule out the Renault Zoe without giving it a test.

Often gets overlooked, but does a genuine 200 Mile range on its 41Kwh battery

Only downside is the waiting list currently at 7 months for a brand new one. (I think the Ioniq is about the same)

But price wise its very competitive.

16K on the road for a midrange one with owned battery
    19k on the road for top of the range with owned battery

Those are both with Metallic Paint as the 43kw Quick Charge option,

The only extras you get on the TOR one is Leather interior Bose sound system and reversing camera, so although I bought that version I would recommend the midrange one for value

And they all come with a free Chargemaster home charge poiint as standard.

Downsides of the Zoe,
    The 41kwh battery can be slow to charger (7 Hours at home)
    And as it uses 43kw AC rather than CCS or Chademo DC it can seem to be slower on a rapid charger than other cars, it tails off quickly from 43kw down to 22kw charge once above 50%, (Empty to 80% (160 Miles Range) Takes 1 Hour 5 mins on a Rapid Charger)

And finally its a Renault so the dealer service is poor compared to a lot of other brands.

26. aandpwoodley

aandpwoodley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,099
    Thanks for the info, the Zoe is just a little to small for me I feel and I’m not convinced about Renault quality

27. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,959
    Appears to depend on the colour; there must be some unallocated stock in certain colours available as I saw 10 weeks delivery quoted for a couple of them. But new factory orders.....forever!

28. PRESSTOG

PRESSTOG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +450

Coming from the i3, the Zoe feels just like any other small car, where the i3 felt different (Odd I know but it just did). But range wise its great.

I can see where you are coming from size wise, I had a Ioniq hybrid on loan for a couple of days when the Zoe was in for work, and the ioniq did feel a lot bigger inside.

As for it being a Renault. Yes the dealers are crap, But the car has a 5 year warranty and once Renault Customer Service get involved in anything it seems to move much quicker.

I am hoping now the delivery niggles are sorted it will be smooth motoring (Up to 7000 miles now since buying it 7 weeks ago)!

Am also going to be looking at the new Leaf as a second family car, they have tweeked my interest but feel the prices are too high at the moment for what they are.

Good Luck with your search..

@LV426 Thanks for the info on the closer availability Ioniqs, May well have to have a nose and see what is out there, Probably going to come in cheaper than the leaf (lets pretend its 2.0). What is the dealer network like with the Ioniq regards servicing can any Hyundai Dealer do it or is it like Renault where half the dealers wont touch the Zoe saying no trained Techs.

29. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,959
    According to Rockar you could have a PremiumSE in
    White - 1 week (£25250 for cash)
    Blue, Dark Grey (Black) - 10 weeks
    the rest 44 weeks.
    and the lesser-specced Premium
    White - 7 weeks (£23550 for cash)
    Silver, Blue - 10 weeks
    the rest 44 weeks.

(See if this link works when you try it: Car finder, Fuel Type Electric )

If you want it delivered, Rockar charge £200. I collected mine in fact, but not from either of their showrooms - from their HO/Call Center which is in rural deep dark East Yorkshire, by arrangement.

ANY Hyundai dealer can do service work. The limitation on Electrics is as regards sales only. I called at my local non-Electric dealer last week to ask whether they could handle it, and while I was there, they looked it up and found there is a non-urgent service bulletin on it, so it's presently with them for that, and I have a far more conventional loan vehicle.

30. aandpwoodley

aandpwoodley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,099
    That’s good prices for the SE trim, just wish I could get a decent test drive.