Ion air turntable to Yamaha av

Mr G Raff

Novice Member
Hi, I have an ION air turntable (Bluetooth turned off as it’s poor) connected via rca cables to my Yamaha RXa2a av receiver (audio 5 input) with music setting in ‘straight’.
It sounds v poor, no detail in the sound. Ion has a phone stage in it .
What am I doing wrong please?
Do I need a dedicated phono box between the turntable and av, is the turntable just not good enough, use different cables or input?
Any help appreciated. I’ve got a good AV and want to add decent hi fin separates and this is the turntable I already owned. Thanks

Khazul

I wouldn't really expect anything else from that turntable.

Probably fine when connected via BT to a typical BT speaker, but I would expect even most common AVRs to seriously expose it limitations and more so for an Aventage model.

That said, compared to a good stereo integrated amp, I tend to find most common AVRs can be a bit dull and lifeless too, even the Aventage series. Its all relative to what you are used to.

Many of us are used to digital streaming and that can sound quite decent even through a decent and well setup AVR+speakers etc. Compared to that, even well respected budget turntables can be a step down in many ways.

Last edited:

Mr G Raff

Novice Member
Many thanks.
Yeah I think that turntable served its purpose a few years ago for playing existing vinyl via bt through an Alexa but the quality was meh.
Would a £300 well ranked rT with a phono stage (and maybe a phono box) add better clarity and improve the sound?
I would love to buy more vinyl but want the sound to be at least close to the sound of streaming Spotify?
Thanks

acgingersnaps

Hi. Slightly over £300, but with a good built in phono stage.

Khazul

I would love to buy more vinyl but want the sound to be at least close to the sound of streaming Spotify?

Hmm, I'm not sure this is realistic.

Personally I found that in order to at least get close under ideal conditions (perfectly clean record of good quality), then I needed quite a decent cartridge (ortofon 2m bronze on a technics SL1210) and even then, it noticeably falls short, but remains enjoyable in its own way. Probably the 2m black would be closer but then that would be nearly 500 for the cartridge vs the bronze at around 250.

It gets me similar neutral tonality and alot of the clarity, good dynamics, but maybe lacking a little as may be expected in channel separation but only really noticeable if you listen/test for it. Overall digital remains noticably superior.

I also have a good DJ cartridge that I use alot and tonally it is quite different and very well suited to EDM 12" singles/EPs etc and while quite different to digital in tonality, its more enjoyable for probably nostalgic reasons. If I were listening to alot of old Led Zep etc, then maybe I may want a much more vintage sound cartridge to get me the sound I remember of that era. The bronze is what I use the most as that just gets me closer to the sound I am used to these days, but others certainly sound more enjoyable for music from specific eras to my taste.

For budget turntable, I think better to aim for a sound you like and not attempt to get something approaching the clarity of a decent digital setup.

acgingersnaps

For budget turntable, I think better to aim for a sound you like and not attempt to get something approaching the clarity of a decent digital setup.
This is the thing. I want my vinyl to not sound digital. So, that warmer sound. Quite easy with the right kit. Expecting the same clarity as digital AND the warmer sound of vinyl requires some serious kit. That said, getting a really good sound for enjoyable vinyl sessions is perfectly doable.

The other thing is making sure that your vinyl's in good nick and is a decently mastered version. Poor masters on vinyl are the worst. Especially if the record's in bad condition.

Mr G Raff

Novice Member
Hmm, I'm not sure this is realistic.

Personally I found that in order to at least get close under ideal conditions (perfectly clean record of good quality), then I needed quite a decent cartridge (ortofon 2m bronze on a technics SL1210) and even then, it noticeably falls short, but remains enjoyable in its own way. Probably the 2m black would be closer but then that would be nearly 500 for the cartridge vs the bronze at around 250.

It gets me similar neutral tonality and alot of the clarity, good dynamics, but maybe lacking a little as may be expected in channel separation but only really noticeable if you listen/test for it. Overall digital remains noticably superior.

I also have a good DJ cartridge that I use alot and tonally it is quite different and very well suited to EDM 12" singles/EPs etc and while quite different to digital in tonality, its more enjoyable for probably nostalgic reasons. If I were listening to alot of old Led Zep etc, then maybe I may want a much more vintage sound cartridge to get me the sound I remember of that era. The bronze is what I use the most as that just gets me closer to the sound I am used to these days, but others certainly sound more enjoyable for music from specific eras to my taste.

Thank you so much for the advice !

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN800B 8K TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom