Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Iomega Super DVD All-Format USB 2.0 External Drive

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Macker, Nov 18, 2003.

1. Macker

Macker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been thinking for a long time over a DVD Recorder & have been through the forums looking at the pros & cons of the HS2 or E-50. One option I am considering is feeding a S-VHS signal from my Hitachi 42PD3000 multimedia box to my computer. Once on the hard drive to copy, once edited onto DVD. Has anyone used or know of any reviews of the Iomega Super DVD 4x All-Format USB 2.0 External Drive?

http://www.iomega-europe.com/eu/products.aspx?productId=SuperDVD4xExt

It seems to be able to write in all formats. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,584
    Personnel Computer World magazine has reviewed it in the current issue. Reasonable review - but the internal LG all format burner is alot cheaper.

3. Macker

Macker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rasczak,

Thanks for the excellent & quick post I will try to find the review in the Personnel Computer World website or even buy the mag! If there is any more information about the LG I would be grateful.

Thanks.

Macker.

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,584
  5. Macker

Macker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I connect the Hitachi media box to the S-VHS input on my graphics card. Can I use WinCinema – WinCoda to record to the hard drive & then on to the LG in MPEG format & watch like a normal DVD?

Just asking the basics, so I know where I am going wrong, any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Macker.:)

6. taimur

taimur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    an alternative to an external dvd writer is to buy a good quality and well reviewed internal dvd drive and place it into a a belkin internal to external drive converter (http://www.dabs.com/uk/productView.htm?quicklinx=2C9T). You can then have which ever dvd writer you want but you just have to add about £70 to its cost.

7. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,584
    Are you sure it's an S-Video input on your graphics card and not an output? AFAIK most graphics cards only have outputs not inputs and you need a dedicated TV in card (best to consult the guys on the HCPC forum rather than here on that subject).

I don't have experience of WinCinema I'm afraid but you can certainly use similar programmes to record to your PC HDD and then use a DVD authoring programme (like TMPG Enc Author for example) to put the recording into DVD video format whereby you can burn it to DVD. As I say the guys on the HCPC forum will have a better idea on this subject as this is there bread and butter so to speak:
    http://www.avforums.com/frame.html?forums/index.php?

8. Macker

Macker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Taimur/Rasczak,

Thank you both for your comprehensive replies. I think as Rasczak has suggested I will go for the LG & the idea of using an external connection (USB, FireWire) sounds good & makes things a lot easier. There is definitely S-Video in/out on the PC as well as composite in/out.

Thanks again.

Macker.

:clap: