1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IO-DATA Linkplayer Short Review

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by marker, Jul 4, 2005.

1. marker

marker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey All

The LP2 is certainly not the prettiest player of any sort on the market, the build quality is on par with Chinese build quaility, again not the best.. The colour they choose for the LCD display is really quite off putting, luminous green with a rotating diagram when a dvd is playing, very distracting..
    The remote is excellent!!! It is the most comfortable remote I have in my house, all the buttons are laid out in a logical and easily found position..

The LP2 came with a NA power lead, no problem just get a normal one and plug it in and its fine, dual voltage with auto switching is a godsend these days.. Other stuff included in the box are, d4 to component cable, RCA cable, Cat5 cable and the server software for your pc..
    I must say that the manual is fully comprehensive and covers everything that you need to know...

My setup
    WIN-XP Sp2
    250Gig drive formatted to FAT32
    Linksys Wi-Fi G router
    WizD 3rd party server software.

When you first set everything up and turn it all on you probably wont see anything on the TV, don't panic just hit the TV mode button until you get to Component out, once you the picture on screen the first thing you must do is firmware updates, in total there are 6 to do. These are a must if you dont do them then you will lose the major progess that has been made.. The firmware upgrades take about 1/2 hour and are all done automatically..

After the FW upgrades are done the next step is to go into options and set it up for your TV, eg 720p or 1080i. Remember to save before you exit....

Setup the server software on your pc, make sure it points to all your files, press the server button on the LP2 and then choose WizD, up comes all the folders that you have choosen plus internet radio. Using the cursor keys on the remote scroll to your choosen folder and pick what you want to watch or listen to, all movie, music and pic files are streamed with ease over the network, I had some test movies streaming at over 22megs a sec..

The pic quailty on 1080i and 720p is sort of soft and not as well defined as some other players out there, although there is a hack to fix this...

All in all i would definately recommend anyone getting a LP2 for hours of streaming fun...

2. scumball

scumball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +410
    Marker, can the LP2 output from the Component (D4) and composite at the same time. I use a PJ for main viewing but have a 6" LCD screen that I would like to attach for use when listening to music only (rather than get the screen down etc...). Also have you tried playing .TS or other HD content from an attached USB2 harddrive? If so does this work as well as wired 100mb LAN?

Any chance of posting some pictures of the interface? I'm currently using XBMC on a XBox for music/video/pic streaming on a crossover cable to my PC, could I just slot the LP2 in place of the XBox?

Does the DVD side of the player upscale PAL/NTSC discs to 720p? Will it play 4gb video files from a UDF DVD or do they have to be ISO or ISO/UDF with 2gb files?

Any more info would be appreciated....I've been offered an ex-demo Japanese model (with DVI output and Englis OS) for £200 and I can't decide whether to go for this or stick with a new US model - any ideas, is the D4-Component a good quality signal and whereabouts is this hack to fix the softness?

3. emporer

emporer
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,640
    I'm getting one of these, what do you mean when you say the image is soft at 720/1080 ?. And what is the hack you speak of?

Cheers

4. petecowie

petecowie
    R.I.P.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I set my linkplayer up yesterday, very pleased with it, but am interested in this hack as well...

5. marker

marker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok the link for the hack is here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=484807&page=13&pp=30&highlight=linkplayer+2 be warned though it requires soldering or de-soldering to be accurate.

There are two good topics over there with over 5000 replies in total...

The dvd player does upscale to 720p or 1080i, tbh the only advantage that I can see over the xbmc which I also have is the fact that it plays .ts files with np what so ever oh that and WMV - HD.

I find that the component pic is not as sharp as my pio575 dvd player over comoponent, i just lacks a bit of sharpness, and as i found out they have used the same filters on the comp out as s-video and composite out..

Scumball it will now play files over 4Gb no problem.
    Never tried srteming files from a USB2 nas unit, rmember that it has to be fat 32 if you plug it stright into the LP2, any drives can be ntfs from your server..

6. scumball

scumball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +410
    What do you reckon the chances are, of being able to stream from a USB2 Blu-Ray / HD-DVD drive from an LP2 is when they're available - might be a great way to future proof this player. Either that or wait for HD-DVD Decrypter!

7. petecowie

petecowie
    R.I.P.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Got to say its nice finally being able to run hi-def on my 50" Pioneer without having to bring the computer downstairs get the opitcal out working etc, etc. Tempted by the hardware tweak, will have a look when their site is back up!

I watched the Usher one night stand concert from usenet seems to have the most impact for me from being HD, getting gladiator (for the second time) at the moment just waiting for en,tee,yell to pounce...

8. petecowie

petecowie
    R.I.P.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I am interested in peoples view of the best way to watch material. Is there anyway of reducing the gaps between .ts files other than joining them all together?? I am currnetly doing this to create 4.5Gb chunks and burning to DVD and leaving anything larger on my HD.
    Has anyone set theirs up with an external drive, I have a couple of external cradles and am tempted to buy a big HD and put all my material on one of these, my current machine is creaking under the strain of 300Gb of material.

Currently every movie I have downloaded I have also bought on DVD, does anyone know the legal standpoint of HD downloads, if they were available to buy I would

9. windfall

windfall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Marker
    Where did you get your LP2 from - was it canada? How much tax did you have to pay in the end and what was th etotal in £?
    Would you reckon an Xbox 360 would be a better buy long term?My current Xbox may not be powerful enough as others have suggested. My Xbox is running in HiDef (720p) and looks great!

I too have issues of moving my pc to lounge!!

Great mini review!

Tone

10. scumball

scumball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +410
    Marker has said before that the total cost was £210 inc. delivery and duty from www.onlybestrated.com in Canada.

XBox 360 could be a better long term buy but have there been any definite media playing abilities confirmed? And at what cost and with what timescale - usually the rule of 'if you can wait then do' will ensure you get the better spec'd equipment for the lower price.

11. windfall

windfall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Sorry to be a total dumbo but what shipping should I opt for when purchasing this unit? I am going to bite the bullett and order!

Tone

12. windfall

windfall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Ok Dumb moment over I went for the $97 postage so the order came to $407 Canadian dollars.

Looking forward to this!

Thanks

Tone

13. petecowie

petecowie
    R.I.P.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I think I went for canada post international express

14. windfall

windfall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Hi
    Thanks for the reply, thats the postage I went for.

I am busy obtaining media for demo when it arrives! Now just got to figure out where to put it in a rack thats full of kit already.

I also have a Pioneer 575 and a DVD recorder in my Rack, could this LP2 replace my 575? I mainly purchase R1 disks anyway and I can always play R2 on my Pioneer DVD recorder.

One last thing - how long did you have to wait for delivery?

Cheers

Tone

15. petecowie

petecowie
    R.I.P.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    delivery was 4-5 days, I was really impressed! I set up a HTPC about 18 months ago so fortunately I've managed to get loads of media in this time (400gb on HD, 500Gb on DVD) still not sure of the legal status of it.

16. windfall

windfall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Thanks for the info!
    Its Crazy my 2mb line (had it when it first became available 2 years ago) is just not good enough anymore!
    This Hi Def stuff takes up more bandwidth in all areas, disk, network etc etc.

I have 500GB in my pc and 100GB in removable disk - busy backing them up and changing them to FAT32! I think most of my playing of HD will be via LAN anyway but obviously when you get a new toy you normally want to see it all work! I am really pleased I had a hard wire LAN cable routed between my study and the lounge when the house was being built - mainly for xbox live, but now I'll use it for both.

I am hoping the champions league final will be posted at some stage - that would be awsome.

Tone

17. petecowie

petecowie
    R.I.P.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I know what you mean I currently have 660Gb of HD space on my machine, yet I am still constantly burning chunks to disk to make some space. I have an external drive enclosure and was thinking of getting another 300-400 Gb drive to go in it, format as FAT32 and use connected straight to the player, the problem I have with this is first I will have to split my files into 1Gb chunks (cos of FAT32) and secondly I still haven;t managed to get rid af the stutter between files when you select play all.

18. as

as

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    champion le final is available on the net in 1080i if you know were to look

19. Tarbat

Tarbat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +252
    That sounds familiar! I spent 3 days gathering HiDef media whilst waiting for my ShowCenter 200 to arrive.

20. Tarbat

Tarbat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +252
    So, I'm assuming the LP2 has the same limitation as the ShowCenter 200, that it can't read NTFS file systems via. the USB2 port? It's a real limitation, I was looking at getting a Kobalt Ext HDD until I realised I'd have to split all my media into 4gb chunks. I guess not many of my media files exceed 4gb, so I might still go ahead with an external USB2 drive.

BTW, does anyone have any screen shots of the LP2 in action - just wondered how similar (or different) the interface is to my SC200.

21. marker

marker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IO-Data say that they are in consultation with M/soft to get a license to use ntfs, heres hoping that they do!!!

Remember you only need Fat32 if you connect a drive straight to the USB port of the player, any other drive that you use through any media server can be ntfs..

cjgpers
    I'll take some photos of the set up etc, but if you look at the review for the snazio player then you will see the setup and it is a spitting image of the LP2..

22. Tarbat

Tarbat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +252
    Thanks. I managed to track down the manual for the LP2, and the interface for the basic system settings looks very similar to the SC200, although the main interface looks quite different. I just wonder whether the SC200 is using the same OS as the LP2, and a similar firmware and middleware layer, with just different application software.

23. windfall

windfall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    I'll go hunting! Mucho Gracias!