INXS home AV set-up

INXS

This is a 100yr old cottage that the wife and I bought in the summer. As well as general updating, we decided to build an en-suite bedroom and an office into the loft, which involved lowering the ceilings by almost 2 feet and removing a chimney breast to make way for the stairs (original wall pictured below)

Additionally, a rather silly lobby affair (see below) reduced the original room size by 6' x 3' so that was ripped out, too - leaving a much easier-to-use square room about 18' x 13'

For sound-insulation and positioning reasons, it was decided that we'd place the AV system on the new wall created 'under' the stairs, with the cupboard behind allowing access to conduits etc.

The lowering of the ceiling 'issue' (although very VERY messy) gave me the opportunity to hide away speaker cables for the Tannoy SFX 5.1's (my dear wife has never been fond of visible cabling!)

The understairs cupboard idea proved invaluable as a number of additions and changes were necessary, re: cabling etc.

Having had a traditional CRT TV for many years, it was nice to upgrade to a flat-screen LG, with the built-in Freesat cutting down on boxes (by 1!) and allowing for a bit of future-proofing, too.

Much forward planning was needed regarding the conduits and plates to ensure those cables were hidden away as much as possible (please see pic).

Once the new wall was plastered and wall-papered (nice subtle black on from B&Q) everyhting just slotted into place.

The only addition I'm considering is some lighting for behind the speakers ... a bit problematic with the black wallpaper, but it's not a major issue.

This is the back of the room with the lovely little Tannoy surrounds on show!

Last edited:

alz2605

Good job mate, looks great :smashin:

But I bet your Mrs won't thank you for posting a photo of her doing an impression of a plane take off!

bluenose24

Good job mate, looks great :smashin:

But I bet your Mrs won't thank you for posting a photo of her doing an impression of a plane take off!
I thought it was an impression of lifting weights hahahaha

nice job matey!!!!

How do ya tannoys sound???

INXS

I thought it was an impression of lifting weights hahahaha

nice job matey!!!!

How do ya tannoys sound???
haha! actually, guys, that's Sarah - my 14 yr old daughter!

the Tannoys are sounding great, to be frank. I have the Eltax floorstanders set to large, so that the LFE go through them as well (I don't always remember to switch on the Tannoy sub)

NB - both Tannoy sub and Eltax's have low limit of 40Hz

INXS

mind you, a word of warning regarding speaker cabling.

the 30m that came with the Tannoys was okay but given the amount I spent on the kit, I thought it was worth a bit more on cabling for the surrounds and mains.

Therefore, I invested my hard-earned on 50m of 79 strand CS33 cable from cableuniverse.co.uk (actually, a bargain at only 56p per metre!)

The quality is unquestionable with audio easily going down the copper with very limited loss.

However, when it came to attaching / screwing / clamping to the back of the speaker plates ... I had an absolute nightmare - the cable strands were just too thick!

In the end, I had to twist and clamp the 79 strands into a finer quite solid pair of strands, twisting them round the back terminals of all the plates ... you can imagine how fiddly the 7.1 plate was with 4 pairs of terminals being used for the surrounds and another pair being used for the speakers up in my office.

Nonetheless, it was certainly worth the effort as both music and movies have never sounded better.

INXS

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom