1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

invisible man messing with my contrast?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by bunyboy, Sep 29, 2003.

1. bunyboy

bunyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    when watching my LG 28" WS tv in 4:3 mode via Sky or VHS (i havent noticed it in 16:9 or via dvd anyway)
    the picture seems to dull from time to time, its like someone is messing with the contrast button.. turning it up and down just to annoy me.. i think it might have something to do with the specifics of whats on screen, for example if somebody walks into a dark room and switches a light on, the image will dull as the light comes on almost as though its reacting to the change...

anyone got any ideas on what this could be?
    or what i could try as a fix?
    or do i need to call LG for a fix?
    (id rather not do that and they turn up, fiddle with a scart, fixing it in 2 seconds and i look like an idiot!)

i hope somebody has some advice coz its driving me crazy!

cheers all

2. Turisu

Turisu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That sounds like Auto Contrast (also known as Auto Black Level I believe). It's not a fault, it's one of those features that manufacturers put on TVs believing it to be innovative and useful. >_<
    You should be able to disable it in the service menu. But I'm afraid I don't know a thing about how to access it on an LG TV.

3. bunyboy

bunyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    i cant beleive that!
    my geometry is all wrong too so it looks like a call to the LG service centre to sort this out... unless anyone has any idea how to get into the service menu?

cheers for the info!

4. Tomfoolery

Tomfoolery

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    My LG 21" TV has a "Digital Eye" which checks the brightness in the room and adjusts the picture accordingly (but just annoys the hell out of you). You might want to check it isn't a feature such as this, that you can turn off.

5. bunyboy

bunyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    i doubt it is.. i dont think my tv is that snazzy..
    ive looked thru the menus for anything that i might be able to turn off and cant make any difference..
    damn those service menus..