Question Inverto Ultra Black - still one of the best LNB's ?

fluff34567

I am getting varying signals from a twin LNB on a sky box, if i swap the leads it appears its a LNB issue. I want torplace the LNB and found various reports about the inverto range of LNB's being very good.

Are there any other models I should look at, i like in a low signal area due to lots of trees.

TJT1

Are the trees in direct line of sight to the sat from your dish? If so, then relocating the dish or trim the trees are the best answers as the problem will only get worse as the trees grow or re-foliate in the spring. Trees should not make a lot of difference to received sig strength unless they are in line of sight and if this is the case, a 'better' LNB is unlikely to improve things dramatically unless your current LNB is dodgy.

TJT1

I use an Inverto Black BTW
So do I. On 28.2E it made no appreciable difference compared with the el cheapo Sky LNB that I was using. Bear in mind that the Sky LNB is optimised for the elliptical Sky dish but the Inverto isn't. The purists would indicate that fitting a 'standard' LNB to an elliptical Sky dish is a heinous crime punishable with death.

kevkbuk

Distinguished Member
The purists would indicate that fitting a 'standard' LNB to an elliptical Sky dish is a heinous crime punishable with death.
Not quite... :D But it's a bit pointless picking one of the best LNBs on the market then installing it on a dish that it isn't designed for....you'd likely do just as well with Sky LNBs.

fluff34567

hi, yes the trees are in a direct line of sight and sadly i am in an appartment so no chance to ove the dish.. the LNB is dodgy also so it needs to be replaced.

TJT1

Not quite... :D But it's a bit pointless picking one of the best LNBs on the market then installing it on a dish that it isn't designed for....you'd likely do just as well with Sky LNBs.
That was the point I was trying to make, but obviously failed.
@fluff. Are the trees really that tall/close. They would have to be abt 20m 4.9m tall at a distance of 10m.

Last edited:

fluff34567

Hi, there are a series of trees in direct line of sight. The smallest is about 10 high and 10 away and a conifer but there are bigger further away.. signal is far worse in summer than winter. Eg I have a 100 cm dish and I get about 80% quality and strength.

LNB has been giving strange results recently so will be changed regardless.

logiciel

100cm?

You didn't fail, TJT1, you just put it differently!

TJT1

@ logi. 100cm = 1000mm = 1M. e.g. not an elliptical Sky dish.:)
Also my bad sums. 26degrees (my location) is 4.9m high @ 10m

jim345

Novice Member
I tried one of the Inverto's a few years ago, on a small dish, and was disappointed in its performance. It was slightly worse than the cheapo LNB that came with the dish. I thought I might have got a bad one, and it did fail within warranty, but the replacement was just the same. The Inverto's reputation did not seem justified.

I wondered if it's claimed superiority is down to the shape rather than the circuitry. The long neck allows a wider range of focus adjustment than you get with an average LNB. Certainly, when I adjusted mine, the best signal was achieved with the LNB as far from the dish as my holder would allow. If the arm had been a little longer, maybe I would have got better results. Perhaps it only works well on certain dishes.

pedro2000uk

Distinguished Member
ibu's are for larger dishes / weak reception ... you could optimize one for a sky dish's oval feedhorn and focal length and f/d ratio but not the low noise block

The long neck for better focus on more dishes is something I'd put foreword some time before & always wonder if I didn't inspire someone at Inverto since the timing for it's release was about right, but they also amplified them & maybe went easy on filtering etc.,. to peak them out on the weakest signals, something which I'd be more cautious of, the problem with that is overload/ swamping on very strong signals, especially if there are other sources of interference so you have to deal with that aspect & hence not really designed for 28e on a Sky dish, unless maybe on a z2 & were thinking of pointing it at Arabsat's BADR4.

LNBs for Sky dishes have been developed for that & work very well, if I install a motorised Sky dish - usually use one on them - not an IBU.

Last edited:

fluff34567

I fitted it today and it has made a difference compared to the old LNB but that had an issue anyway.

I'm now at 100 strength and 90 quality.