Inverter Replacement

Ash056

Standard Member
So I have had my solar panels (4KW) since Nov 2011. From reading some of the discussions here, I may have to replace my Inverter soonish. I am thinking it may be the time to get a replacement Inverter that will support Battery installation. Though up to now, installing batteries does not make economic sense for me. I don't have an EV and my annual electricity cost is around £550.

Has anyone here gone down this route? Which company, which Inverter?

I am assuming battery installation has no impact on FIT payments as I have another 15 years to go on the FIT scheme.

oneman

For a 4Kw system batteries make little sense in this country for the average household. I suspect you are rarely exceeding your generation except for a few months in summer.

Cheaper systems (2.5Kwh) cost £2k and store around 40p electricity. Even if managed to 100 days a year that is £40 a year offset.

Anyway, AC battery storage which you will need for existing systems should work with any Inverter as the battery is charged after inversion.

Ash056

Standard Member
For a 4Kw system batteries make little sense in this country for the average household. I suspect you are rarely exceeding your generation except for a few months in summer.

Cheaper systems (2.5Kwh) cost £2k and store around 40p electricity. Even if managed to 100 days a year that is £40 a year offset.

Anyway, AC battery storage which you will need for existing systems should work with any Inverter as the battery is charged after inversion.
Not sure I fully understand your reply. From March to September last year, my daily average generation was >10KW. Daily average in May was 20KW. I would have thought, that with a say 5KW battery, I would not take any electricity from the Grid at least 7 months saving in the region of around £150. During the winter months, I could charge the batteries using Economy 7 during the night and use that during the day, cutting my winter expenditure by at least 50%, so save in the region of £125. There would also be some income from export during the summer months. What ever that mounts to. Not much I guess.

oneman

Not sure I fully understand your reply. From March to September last year, my daily average generation was >10KW. Daily average in May was 20KW. I would have thought, that with a say 5KW battery, I would not take any electricity from the Grid at least 7 months saving in the region of around £150. During the winter months, I could charge the batteries using Economy 7 during the night and use that during the day, cutting my winter expenditure by at least 50%, so save in the region of £125. There would also be some income from export during the summer months. What ever that mounts to. Not much I guess.
What is your typical daily consumption ?

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom