Invasive On-Screen Information

Argento

Novice Member
Hi all.

It's my first post here so hopefully someone can help.

My equipment consists of a Denon avrX8500H, Pioneer UDB-LX800 and Sony A1 TV. Last few months, playing DVDs, I'm being harassed by a screen overlay displaying connection source, picture resolution and time of day. Unfortunately this lasts about 4 sec but occurs repeatedly at a frequency of 00:40 sec-02:30 minutes throughout the movie. Yes, I've timed it to find a pattern but it's all over the place within those times noted. The 4 sec display time however is absolutely consistent.

IMG_9504.jpg

My suspicion is weighted toward the TV but any notification setting changes regarding hdmi/ arc made no difference. All three components (surprisingly even the Pioneer) had software updates and I haven't off late played DVDs consistently in that time to nail down who the culprit may be. All I can say is that this is a fairly new problem in the years I've had this set-up.

Attached is a pic of the notification gremlin that's bugging me every few minutes. Mods: pls feel free to move this post if it's in the wrong section.

Cheers

Solution
Welcome to the Forum.

I'm a Pioneer LX500 owner and the overlay doesn't look like it's a Pioneer problem. I can say that, as a Denon X6500 owner I've not seen that overlay with the Denon. The information looks very much like a TV based issue. My TV is a Panasonic.

To start ruling things out I would connect the Pioneer up by it's dual outputs with the video going direct to the TV. The second HDMI to the Denon for audio only. That will cut out the Denon from the video chain. Configure the Pioneer to use both HDMI.

Also turn off HDMI CEC on all devices. This can be the source of a lot of problems, especially with three different manufacturers in the chain.

gibbsy

Welcome to the Forum.

I'm a Pioneer LX500 owner and the overlay doesn't look like it's a Pioneer problem. I can say that, as a Denon X6500 owner I've not seen that overlay with the Denon. The information looks very much like a TV based issue. My TV is a Panasonic.

To start ruling things out I would connect the Pioneer up by it's dual outputs with the video going direct to the TV. The second HDMI to the Denon for audio only. That will cut out the Denon from the video chain. Configure the Pioneer to use both HDMI.

Also turn off HDMI CEC on all devices. This can be the source of a lot of problems, especially with three different manufacturers in the chain.

Upvote 0
Solution

Jamie

Distinguished Member
I don't think the amp even has a clock does it?

Upvote 0

Argento

Novice Member
Welcome to the Forum.

Hallo gibbsy

firstly thank you for the reply and the welcome.

Do you believe in coincidences? Well, not having a spare HDMI cable to try your suggestion, thought to sift through the horrid Sony TV menu/ AndroidOS to first try turning CEC off. Would have saddened me as Sony already broke TV power on pressing the dedicated Netflix button, otherwise all three manufacturers played well together.
I have software update configured to on when TV is next off. So next time, tonight. Just for laughs I checked manually just now and..drumroll..a brand new update appeared. Not only that but it specifically addressed this actual problem of the info-banner harassment. Downloaded and it's fixed!!

Thank you again. I have navigated to this site in the past as a silent reader but will undoubtedly have more Q in the future regarding fine tuning, Audyssey, etc of my set-up.

Still, saves me going through the average 1. and 2. tier Sony support, which usually ends with "do a factory reset". Maybe they read this post, rushed the update out ;)

Here's the update description in English from the UK site:

IMG_9507.jpg

Upvote 0

gibbsy

The image from your LX800 may benefit from having it's own HDMI lead to the TV. That's how I have my LX500 set up. Originally I did it because I was waiting for the long long long promised HDR10+ firmware update. Where has that gone?

Upvote 0

Argento

Novice Member
The image from your LX800 may benefit from having it's own HDMI lead to the TV. That's how I have my LX500 set up. Originally I did it because I was waiting for the long long long promised HDR10+ firmware update. Where has that gone?
Yes, I may do so once I find an appropriate budget Lowboard to house the largish Centre and AVR. Short of getting it built (funds are dry), nothing exists. In other words, will keep it in mind once I know my cable lengths.

Do you find much difference using Transport as opposed to Off watching DVDs? Purely music CD/SACD it's an obvious Direct for me.

Funny you say that gibbsy, was looking for the appropriate LX thread to moan about that broken HDR10+ lie. Pioneer promised it upon release, then annually delayed, then nothing. They gave an assurance at time of purchase that it will come and the Panasonic at the time I trialled already supported it and DV. Pioneer DE (I call them twice a year) know nothing. The Japanese link they supplied to complain also led nowhere.

For the sake of sentimentality and posterity:
2019.png

2018.png

Upvote 0

gibbsy

Do you find much difference using Transport as opposed to Off watching DVDs? Purely music CD/SACD it's an obvious Direct for me.
I've left the dual connections as it's a fair bit of work with my cabinet to get in to change things now and I've got use to it over the last two years or so. As for music I only use the LX500 for multi channel SACD as I currently have a Marantz SACD stereo player direct into a Rega Elicit-R (used with HT by-pass) for all music duties. The LX500 is a superb multi channel player and I'd love to hear the LX800 banging out some tunes.

I don't think we'll ever see HDR10+ on the Pioneers, not that I have a lot of titles with it anyway. Love the way they say it's been Re-delayed.

Upvote 0

Argento

Novice Member
I've left the dual connections as it's a fair bit of work with my cabinet to get in to change things now and I've got use to it over the last two years or so. As for music I only use the LX500 for multi channel SACD as I currently have a Marantz SACD stereo player direct into a Rega Elicit-R (used with HT by-pass) for all music duties. The LX500 is a superb multi channel player and I'd love to hear the LX800 banging out some tunes.

I don't think we'll ever see HDR10+ on the Pioneers, not that I have a lot of titles with it anyway. Love the way they say it's been Re-delayed.
I'll have to learn how to quote properly passages on this site.

Just getting back to using the HDMI SUB Terminal for Audio only. I recall now calling Pioneer years ago about it as was keen to add another cable to get the best out of it. Was told seeing I have no dedicated HiFi Amp it wouldn't bring much. I accepted this but now you got me re-thinking this. What I don't get with just currently using the Main HDMI, I can switch to Pure Audio. It vastly improves clarity, bass, etc but according to the chart Pure Audio should only work via HDMI OUT SUB? Don't get it.
HDMI.png

Admittedly my set-up is biased toward HT. My only MultiCH SACD plays just spectacular, purchased MultiCH .dsf files on the other hand a bit disappointing recording wise. Finding SACDs in physical stores is an impossibility. Mind you, it's quite limiting the access to downloadable stores from DE, especially various Genres. But yes indeed your Rega looks great. My AVR does even in Pure Direct Mode loses some detail, Mains bit warm, cables all Bi-Amped, room an acoustic disaster. Yup, nothing like a dedicated Stereo Amp for Audio. Not all bad! Biggest difference were some Isolation Podiums for Mains and Sub to not couple with wobbly creaky wooden floating floor. Wow.

HDR10+...not even a Re-Re-delayed last year. Silence..tumbleweeds..fade out.

Upvote 0

gibbsy

I've used the stereo RCA analogue out from the LX500 to my Rega, you could do the same with the Denon as I believe the analogue route will give a better result when the LX800 decodes DSD. I have to say that the LX500 isn't as good at stereo over the Marantz and indeed the Denon DCD 2500 SACD player that I also have which is currently in my headphone set up. I have since taken the RCA leads down.

The analogue connection using pure direct should also be better for redbook reproduction.

Upvote 0

Argento

Novice Member
I've used the stereo RCA analogue out from the LX500 to my Rega, you could do the same with the Denon as I believe the analogue route will give a better result when the LX800 decodes DSD. I have to say that the LX500 isn't as good at stereo over the Marantz and indeed the Denon DCD 2500 SACD player that I also have which is currently in my headphone set up. I have since taken the RCA leads down.

The analogue connection using pure direct should also be better for redbook reproduction.
Wish I had a memory on occasion. Yup gibbsy, I run RCA from the LX-OUT to the Denon-IN (BluRay) in Direct Mode (not with the Pioneer Pure Audio). Especially the bass benefits all round here.

Had a thought of moving the RCAs to, say CD-IN of the Denon to give some separation b/ween DVDs, CDs, SACDs, BluRays. End of day I think it makes no difference leaving the RCAs on the BlueRay IN. On occasion I get cut outs when OFF is selected instead of DIRECT but that's academic and rather reminds me to set DIRECT. Dig/Analog conflict perhaps. Should be ok this current set up you think or could be better configured for what I have and my use?

Shame you don't have the RCA set up atm to try something. I recall calling Onkyo-Pioneer and SoundUnited about a phenomena when playing Hybrid SACDs. LX mode OFF the Denon displays HDMI+DIG+DSD. LX mode on DIRECT and Denon only shows Analog, no DSD symbol. Supposedly it's just how the Denon is configured, the DSD portion plays but the symbol isn't displayed.

LX.jpg
AVR.jpg

Upvote 0

gibbsy

If you are using RCA then it's the Pioneer that is decoding the DSD to PCM, correctly, so the Denon will just show a stereo PCM signal, correctly. With multi channel SACD via HDMI then my X6500 shows multi channel in. Not getting any signal drop outs and I don't use it at all for stereo SACD or redbooks preferring the Marantz.

Upvote 0

Argento

Novice Member
If you are using RCA then it's the Pioneer that is decoding the DSD to PCM, correctly, so the Denon will just show a stereo PCM signal, correctly. With multi channel SACD via HDMI then my X6500 shows multi channel in. Not getting any signal drop outs and I don't use it at all for stereo SACD or redbooks preferring the Marantz.
The drop outs were occurring whilst HDMI flickered on the LX, conflict Analog/Digital. Prompted me to check Input Assignment on the Denon. Only keeping the Analog option for CD Input sorted this.
Had a good Redbook session today with the RCA's, Direct on LX, PureDirect on the Denon and came to the conclusion that I'm quite happy with this. Especially the Bass coming out of the 2-way Mains impresses the most. I've marked the original Q as answered now gibbsy and a big thank you for all the helpful advice in this thread.

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs of 2021, plus our favourite & memorable reviews of the year
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom