1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Invasion USA and other bad Cannon films.

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Dirk 2, Dec 6, 2001.

1. Dirk 2

Dirk 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cannon pictures, they turned out some "classics" did they not? Well thanks to MGM UA, a substantial back catalogue is now coming to light on DVD.

"Invasion USA" is a bad film. But for some strange reason I like it. It followed hard on the heels of "Code Of Silence" which threatened to put Chuck Norris from the C list to the B list!. However, what you get this time is a poorly thought out, badly performed, unispiringly filmed and blandly editted mess. This is it's charm.

A group of communist terrorists, land in Florida, trade drugs for guns, then cause mayhem and unrest through a series of terrorist attacks. These include blowing up suburbia with RPG's, diguising themseleves as cops then shooting up the latin quarter, bombing shopping malls and churches.

Their leader is Richard Lynch, who harbour a grudge against ex-CIA agent Norris, as he once kicked him in the face. Yes, I can see that it would keep you awake at night. Any way terrorist decide that Chuck is a threat so decide to take him out. They kill his Indian chum and make Chuck and his pet Armidillo homeless (I ain't making this up). Basicly, you now just get a string of low budget set-pieces in which Chuck always turns up in time to save the day.

Tom Savini did special make-up FX's for this picture but due to poor photography and editing, you really don't get to see a lot. Shame really. Still you still get Dick Lynch rolling his eyes and giving an insanely OTT performance. His burns apparrently were self inflicted. Allegedly he set himself alight in his youth as a protest.

The Region 1 disk is anamorphicly presented and the picture is reasonably clear, with little print damage. The soundtrack is 2 channel only. Still it's better treatment than the material really deserves.

A few points to consider:

1.) Why do kids on school buses always sing " Row Your Boat"?
    2.) Since when do RPG's and other sholder launch weapons have automatic reloads?
    3.) Why do these "elite forces" seem to be unaware of the concept of advancing under cover?

2. wicky1

wicky1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can't argue with enjoyable crap like this. Lone wolf McQuade is also available, if anyone likes the 80's Steven Seagal!
    They always sing row your boat, since Dirty Harry, Please note Die Hard With A Vengence for this also.

3. Juzminator

Juzminator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Mmmmm..."The Barbarians" was a lovely Cannon Pictures release too...with the omnipresent Richard Lynch.

I remember that it was a "Golan-Globus" production - as was, it seems, every other Cannon Pictures release in the 80's.

Can't think of any more, and I know that were blimmin' loads of 'em!

4. wicky1

wicky1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Let us not forget other cinematic classics like.....
    Death Wish 3 - Michael Winner's masterpiece
    America Ninja movies.
    Delta Force movies.
    They just don't make 'em like that anymore!

5. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +916
    and Franco Nero's Enter The Ninja,

6. Setenza

Setenza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    I see that the MGM/UA re-release of the Cannon back catalogue continues with R1 copies of "10 to Midnight" & "Murphys Law".

Two of Charles Bronsons better output for this studio. "Murphys Law" had some good suitably profane dialogue, including the infamous "kiss my squirrel" line, from Kathleen Wilhoite. But I don't think it referred to the bushy tailed rodent that inhabits these boards.

7. (GTV)Chris

(GTV)Chris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    LoL - Death wish 3.......What a load of slurry.
    I believe it was all shot in London (supposedly New York) Oh Dear...Just one of the worst films ever made :)

8. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Maybe they've all seen 'Dirty Harry'?