Invasion (Apple TV+) Season 1 TV Show Review & Comments

Episode 6 is better. The sound design/mix saved it but then it needed to as you could barely see what was going on.

They must have watched See Season 2 and thought a murky image would add to the suspense. Was so dim the TV thought it was a static image and triggered it's screenburn protection. :facepalm:

Last edited:
No I could not spot a 'settings cog' when launching the Apple app. However I then went back to watch the final 10 min of Ep 4 and low and behold translaton subtitles appeared in the Japanes part of the story line. I then replayed earlier Japanes scenes and the subtitles reappeared..puzzled!. Must be glitch in the streaming software relating encoding of the subtitle signal.
Note, the TV does have a 'settings' cog but I normally watch Virgin Media cable TV and then Apple TV+ via the TV's streaming apps.
I had similar problems on an Nvidia Sheild, sub's would appear and then stop for no apparent reason. Ended up watching it via my Xbox which worked fine.

Oh dear, episode 6 was the final nail in the coffin for me. Have given up any hope this show will be good.

The change of gear was a big plus point as was the sound/music during the tense parts. Problem is, despite the change of focus, EP 6 was executed just as badly as the earlier soap-opera orientated episodes. Only the morbid fascination of watching 200 million peed up the wall will get me to the final episode

Yes, tastes are fundamentally subjective, and people engage with content in different ways (I've enjoyed plenty of 'crap' movies). But I can see why many professional critics dislike this show.

15 minutes of watching people tippy-toe around a house, with the monster deliberately not in sight (of course) until the end, while throwing every other B movie cliche at it too. Far too predictable and complete pants IMHO.

Last edited:
Dear lord was a steaming pile of shite this is. I'm keeping up desperate for something to happen. I literally wanted them all to die, shouting and talking loud despite the obvious. We've moved it from prime evening viewing to daytime filler now for us. Where has all the money gone!!

Edit,

I liked episode 6.

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't get to the end of Ep6, I've given up - it's really not going anywhere.

Holy Moly Episode 6 might just be the most tense thing I have seen on TV that I can remember. I have been pooping on this show but this really dragged me in. The sound mix was very aggressive for a TV show and the only thing that let this episode down was how difficult it was to make anything out due to the murkiness of everything.

I didn't realise till the end that there was hardly any dialogue in the episode, I was just glued to what was going on. I would be surprised if they can keep up this intensity next week.

Holy Moly Episode 6 might just be the most tense thing I have seen on TV that I can remember. I have been pooping on this show but this really dragged me in. The sound mix was very aggressive for a TV show and the only thing that let this episode down was how difficult it was to make anything out due to the murkiness of everything.

I didn't realise till the end that there was hardly any dialogue in the episode, I was just glued to what was going on. I would be surprised if they can keep up this intensity next week.
I must have been watching a different show :eek:

I'm pretty much giving up too. Episode 6 was just annoying...
Don't make a sound of course they can't do that Seriously, we will die if we make a noise They talk very loudly and start crying OH MY GOD BE QUIET Start shouting and arguing with each other and one falls through the ceiling for no reason whatsoever I've never wanted a family on a show to die more so we don't have to go back to them again :D

giphy.gif

I'm pretty much giving up too. Episode 6 was just annoying...
Don't make a sound of course they can't do that Seriously, we will die if we make a noise They talk very loudly and start crying OH MY GOD BE QUIET Start shouting and arguing with each other and one falls through the ceiling for no reason whatsoever I've never wanted a family on a show to die more so we don't have to go back to them again :D
It turned into a low budget in the dark A Quiet Place and despite being only 35 minutes long it just dragged on and on and on.

Big Humvee won't start on the 3rd go so just abandon it and walk loads of miles instead. And abandon all the weapons lying in the the road. And later drop the gun, pick up the gun, drop the gun again etc etc.

It turned into a low budget in the dark A Quiet Place and despite being only 35 minutes long it just dragged on and on and on.

Big Humvee won't start on the 3rd go so just abandon it and walk loads of miles instead. And abandon all the weapons lying in the the road. And later drop the gun, pick up the gun, drop the gun again etc etc.
Yep, you nailed it with that spoiler.

They’re taking the **** now

They’re taking the **** now
Yup. It's a $200 million dollar turd. Someone at Apple should be asking where the budget went.

I gave it the benefit of doubt hoping it might improve but after 7 episodes it hasn't. With any luck all the Aliens will turn up and put everyone out of their misery in one big wallop.

I'm a sucker for punishment so will probably still watch it! :laugh:

Yup. It's a $200 million dollar turd. Someone at Apple should be asking where the budget went.

I gave it the benefit of doubt hoping it might improve but after 7 episodes it hasn't. With any luck all the Aliens will turn up and put everyone out of their misery in one big wallop.

I'm a sucker for punishment so will probably still watch it! :laugh:
You’ve saved me some hours, not going to bother with this one.

You’ve saved me some hours, not going to bother with this one.
It certainly wouldn't be on my 'one to watch' list. Bit of a shame really as I'd been looking forward to it.

Thankfully, there's superior stuff like Foundation on ATV+. :thumbsup:

Episode 7 and another empty mess. Albeit we got some more of Mitsuki whose story is the only half-decent thing in the show.

Onto trivia, seems we defo have a British hi-fi enthusiast on the Japanese unit’s production team. When Mitsuki visits the radio telescope facility and is listening, there’s several close-up shots of a vintage 3-way loudspeaker on the wall. A Wharfedale Linton 3XP no less, which hails from the mid 70’s. Follows up on an earlier episode in Hinata’s father’s house where a dismantled Cyrus II amp got a few seconds of close-up screen time. This hi-fi spotting is keeping me interested at least.

Hmmm… I wonder where they got the idea of zooming in on a speaker that’s playing an alien signal received by a radio telescope but converted to audio frequencies?

Ain’t copying 'homage' useful when you don’t have a single original idea in your head.

Last edited:
This week’s episode of nothing happens released a day early

Sigh....even the Japanese story arc is tedious. As for the others, well, it's like watching a murkyvision version of some naff drama series.

Just to add insult to injury.
We see a brief glimpse of a couple of aliens scurrying up a building in the distance whilst being shot at by imperial stormtroopers dressed as soldiers.

Even more galling is apparently there are no airplanes left, they've all been destroyed. Presumably done offscreen to save some money from the measly $200 million budget.

If this gets a second series someone at Apple needs slapping with a kipper.

It was, of course, inevitable that US army guy would arrive in London and stumble across Quarry kids.

No offence intended by not referring to their character names, I have no idea what they are.

Last edited:
Also,

Are we assuming that the only things the aliens can be killed by are pieces of their own ship? Seems careless

Anyone else having picture quality issues? It is virtually unwatchable in dark scenes. I'm streaming it through a ps5 and my I pad won't find my TV so I have no alternative.

Sounds like I made the right choice giving up on this series :) I was hopeful it would improve, but it appears to be more of the same dull, slow, drama.

Anyone else having picture quality issues? It is virtually unwatchable in dark scenes. I'm streaming it through a ps5 and my I pad won't find my TV so I have no alternative.

It's quite a dark, murky image overall. One episode was bad enough to fool my TV into triggering it's static image protection. Not exactly a stunner on the video quality side of things and makes me wonder why they bothered with HDR.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom