Question iNuke NU1000DSP power switch

Davie G

Established Member
Reaction score
Calling all of you iNuke owners...
I am in the process of having an extension built and I'm putting in an in-wall subwoofer (BK IW300). The iNuke amps seem good value for money so it's top of my list so far (NU1000DSP). Recognising the fan noise of an iNuke (lots of info on here how to resolve), I was wondering how the units are switched on. Bear with me...

I want to put the amp in a kitchen cupboard so would like to understand the following:
Is the power switch on the amp a mechanical 'toggle' switch such that I can switch the amp on and can then control the amp via the 3-pin wall socket (via a smart-switch like a WeMo insight switch for example). ie. the 3-pin wall socket becomes the amp's power switch.

Or, is the switch on the amp a 'soft' switch controlled by logic in the amp such that the 3-pin wall socket must remain on all the time to enable the amp to power up?

I'd like to power up the amp remotely, ideally without doing any sort of 12V trigger mod.

Anyone else done a similar thing, or possibly with a different amp?

Help and advice gratefully received.

Thanks
Dave

I think it's a 'soft switch' because my iNuke6000DSP makes a horrible thump if I turn it on using the mains switch and not if I use the front panel switch. You may be able to add a relay to control it; I've never bothered with it myself since I have to go to the cupboard where the rack is in order to put a disc in the player, so I turn the iNukes on then.

I nearly went for IW300 myself at the rear of my room as 'in fill' subs, ended up with MK IW28S which I'm very happy with, underpinned with a pair of 15" DIY subs at the front of the room.

Hi Kelvin, thanks for you input. So it sounds like I can control the power of an iNuke via the wall switch though the drawback is a 'thump'.

Wow, the MK IW28S's are pricey, out of my budget! I'm looking forward to hearing what the IW300 is like - I bought it off the back of how good my Monolith is so hoping BK know a thing or two about in wall subs too (not that I'm expecting it to be as good as a dedicated stand-alone sub of course).

I have a Behringer iNuke 3000DSP powering two BK IW300's. I use a power sensing plug, which senses when my AV amp draws power and switches on a socket to the iNuke - so I'm just switching the mains to it. I've never heard a "Thump" powering it on this way.

Hi Robbie

Thanks for the input - this is much appreciated. So you can leave the iNuke's 'switched on' and control the power elsewhere. This is good to hear and that you don't get a thud! :) Maybe your power sensing plug has a soft power up?

I don't suppose you have the details of the power sensing plug that you use? I'll take a look for something similar but a head start would be appreciated.

Thanks again for the reply.

Dave

From what i can gather, only DSP equipped Inukes make the thump when being turned off from the socket only.

Hi Dave,

Yes, I just leave the iNuke switched on and switch the mains to it.

I don't believe my sensing plug has any kind of soft power up (which could be damaging to some connected devices).

I've just been trying to find where I brought the sensing plug from, but it was 5 or 6 years ago (I previously used it with a computer & printer).

I'll try and remember to look at the brand of it tonight. When I first used it with my Denon AV amp, it took a lot of messing about with the sensitivity control, as the Amp isn't fully off when switched off (due to signal pass through and Airplay still drawing current).

From what i can gather, only DSP equipped Inukes make the thump when being turned off from the socket only.
Mine is a DSP, but no "Thump" switching the mains supply.

Hi Robbie

I guess the important thing I wanted to know is if I could leave the amp 'on' and control the power from elsewhere - thanks for confirming this. Now that I know I can, I will look into the way of achieving the power on either via power sensing or WiFi plug. Power sensing is neat as it's only one thing to turn on! If you do remember to look up the brand that would be great. I'm sure with a bit of Googling I'll be able to find something. :)

How do you find the IW300's? Not heard mine working yet!

Dave

I've heard conflicting reports, thud on power on, thud on power off, with DSP, without DSP! Hard to know if there is a common cause in this case other than the fact that if you control the power with the mains socket, there is a chance it will thud!

My two are installed in brick cavity walls of our extension. The room is a combined kitchen/dining/living area with a total size of 5 x 7.5m.

They are mounted in the corners either side of the patio doors (4.5m of floor to ceiling glass) which means that one IW300 is at the front and one at the rear (as the TV is on a side wall). (You can see the front one on the bottom left in the pictures here.) Therefore I'm currently only using the one near the TV until I have time to test out the best way to configure the other.

I'm using Cambridge Audio Minx Min11's at fronts, sides & rears. Even using only one IW300, the The Min11's run out of steam way before the sub. It also produces a very high quality "tight" bass, rather than the more boomy bass of the ported subs I've had previous experience with.

I suspect the IW300 maximum output might not be enough for many people, but we typically watch Blu-ray films at reference level -10dB and have never reached their limits.

As the iNuke 3000 is capable of giving out more power than the IW300 can take, I have set the limiter (sorry, I can't remember the actual setting right now) to protect the subs, but I've never heard it limiting.

I've still yet to set up any of the DSP (it's all still running flat) but I suspect it could be useful extending the subs down lower with some careful boost applied at the right frequency.

(Edited as my review link didn't work.)

Last edited:
Great to hear that you like the subs. I'm going to use one IW300 in an open plan kitchen/dining room with in-ceiling speakers. The in-ceiling speakers just don't give enough bass for my liking so I'm hoping one IW300 will be enough to fill in the low frequencies for what will surmount to mostly casual listening.

I'll probably go for a DSP model as it's not much more outlay than a non-DSP and then I'll have the ability to tweak should I need to. Interesting to learn that the iNuke has a limiter, I'll be sure to look that up too.

Thanks again for the advice.

I've heard conflicting reports, thud on power on, thud on power off, with DSP, without DSP! Hard to know if there is a common cause in this case other than the fact that if you control the power with the mains socket, there is a chance it will thud!

Well my Inuke 6000 DSP thumps like a bitch if turned off from the socket, really nasty as kelvinS mentioned.

Great to hear that you like the subs. I'm going to use one IW300 in an open plan kitchen/dining room with in-ceiling speakers. The in-ceiling speakers just don't give enough bass for my liking so I'm hoping one IW300 will be enough to fill in the low frequencies for what will surmount to mostly casual listening.

Then I'm sure that one IW300 will be more than adequate for your use.

Interesting to learn that the iNuke has a limiter, I'll be sure to look that up too.

Thanks again for the advice.

The good thing about the limiter, is that it should be impossible to blow the sub, however loud anyone turns up the music. (Do you have teenage children?)

Well my Inuke 6000 DSP thumps like a bitch if turned off from the socket, really nasty as kelvinS mentioned.
Maybe they have changed the design at some point? I purchased mine early 2016 from Amazon.

I'm also using the balanced input, without the ground wire connected to prevent any earth loops.

Maybe they have changed the design at some point? I purchased mine early 2016 from Amazon.

I'm also using the balanced input, without the ground wire connected to prevent any earth loops.

That's a likely reason mate. Mine is a good few years old now.

The good thing about the limiter, is that it should be impossible to blow the sub, however loud anyone turns up the music. (Do you have teenage children?)

I have two young kids (5 and 7) who know what to say to an Echo dot to turn the volume up! Planing on using an Echo dot to make the system more wife friendly!

Your set up looks great BTW! :)

Yes Dave, that's the kind of thing, except mine was a Y lead with only one socket for the master/control product and one for the slave/switched product. But it was sold as some kind of eco-energy saving standby current eliminator. Mine also had a sensitivity adjustment, which proved invaluable.

Thanks for the compliment. We had an extension built, with me allowing space for a nice large TV, but the wife said she didn't want to see any speakers. This was the compromise. The Minx Min satellites aren't a stunning speaker, but they are very good for the size and the wife is happy with their look.

Just considering an Echo Dot myself, and hoping to also interface it with the home automation. "Alexa, set the lights to move mode"!

Hmm, the sensitivity adjustment bit might be quite important. I too have a Denon amp that will draw some current on standby (but then again, so will a TV) and it would be really annoying if this was too high to detect that it had been switched off. Hopefully not as the standby current should be a fair magnitude lower than operation current. I'll keep looking to see if I can find something more like you have to control the iNuke (keeping this thread vaguely on topic!).

I picked up an Echo Dot on Prime day last month with a Harmony hub for the kitchen. Had a bit of a play around but not had time to set up properly, plus extension is a month or so away from needing it. Hoping to control kitchen LED lights too.

It's all about keeping the wife happy! :)

Just to close the loop to anyone else doing some research into iNukes, I am controlling my iNuke NU1000DSP power via a current sensing plug. It's the type of plug that is sold for PC users to switch on all of their peripheral equipment when the PC turns on. Works a treat (I have my stereo amp as the 'master' and the NU1000 + other equipment as the 'slave'). I'm using a very old amp with little in the way of smart functions like network capability so it may draw very little current in standby mode? Not sure.

This is what I am using:
4x E-ON PC POWERDOWN ENERGY SAVING INTELLIPLUG SURGE PROTECT UK seller | eBay

I leave the NU1000 with the power button 'on' and don't have any thud like others have found when I power up effectively by the mains. For reference, I purchased the NU1000 in Sept 2017 so maybe a design change has removed the thud?

I also swapped out the internal fan in the NU1000 for a much a much quieter fan (Arctic F8 80mm from eBay). It is much quieter (factor of 5 in my opinion - no measurements to back that up though!) but it naturally doesn't pull as much air through the NU1000. Seems adequate for my use though.

Arctic F8 80mm 2000RPM Silent High Performance PC 3 Pin Case Cooling Fan | eBay

Hope this helps someone else one day! :)

Dave

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom