1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intrusive fan noise NEC PG

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Gordon @ Convergent AV, Jan 5, 2001.

1. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,788
    I am sitting approx 1 foot either side of my NEC. I used to find the fan noise quite acceptable except during quiet scenes. I msut say that the fans aren't really that loud compared to some. In fact, a chap who bought a 9PG from me had a Davis DLP previously and he felt the NEC fans were quieter.

I have now built a housing from MDF out of Homebase. This covers mine completely and acts a a great table for putting drinks on! Since this addition I don't find it at all imposing.

You could try changing the fans to newer ones. Do not try to disable them though. They are attached to a protection circuit and the machine will switch off if you disconnect them. Not only that, they are there for a reason!

I will contact my Runco spies and see if the fans were modified at all for the Runco versions. I'll also ask if it's possible to reduce the RPM of the fans as ,very often, it's the pitch of the noise that's annoying not it's volume.

I'd also ask this over at AVscience forums. Do a search for fan replacement.

All the best,

Gordon

------------------
    StereoStereo
    Intelligent Solutions for Intelligent Homes !

2. Gary Palmer

Gary Palmer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Gordon,

I've been meaning to make an MDF box for ages !

Up till now I've used cushions (sad, I know).

How thick is the MDF ?

How did you make sure the fan exhaust still gets out and the fan intake still gets in ??

Any chance of a digital pic by email ?

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,788
    Garry,

It's 18mm thick MDF (Thickest they have in big 2440 x 1220 mm sheets) I planned it out then got it cut at Homebase as I don't have the tools. Bought some self tapping wood screws and off I went. It was about £20 for the bits I think.

No vents in my box. Seems to get quite warm inside but nothing has switched off yet. I'm going to drill some vent holes (circular) at the top back of the thing sometime soon. Mine is covered with a table cloth. Looks much better than just sitting there by itself, although it currently has a Barco 600 sitting on its top! I need to get that out the way soon too......

I'll try and charge my camera and send you a pick this weekend.

Gordon

------------------
    StereoStereo

4. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    You've still got your 600 then?

Did you get it to work in the end?

Cheers

Rick

PS If you are wanting a home, (for the 600) and don't want any kind donations, then I'll be happy to home it.

------------------
    'I am just a figment of your imagination.'
    MiB 1997

Work Site: The Sound Gallery
    Home Site: WD A.V.

[This message has been edited by ReTrO (edited 05-01-2001).]

5. adrianh

adrianh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gordon,

Can you also sent me a pic, so I can visualise what you are saying. Had a quick look at the fans, and they are tooked right up underneath the CRTs, so will probably try the Hush box, unless you can suggest a Runco tweak.

Looked at AVScience, and had quite alot of info about fan swaps, but no one has tried it on NEC's, they maynot find it too loud, but my projector is at ear height!!

Gordon, your NEC must be a floor mount, do you have it sat quite far back in the room, if I floor mounted mine i think it would only project to about waist height,given the limited size of room in student flats!!!!

AdrianH

6. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,788
    Retro: I have almost got the Barco600 going, but only through its RGB input. Still learning about its idiosyncracies (sic).

I'll let everyone know soon enough what is going to happen with it........

Adrian: Yes it's floor mounted. I'll try and send you a picture that shows how high it is off the ground and how high the screen is. You are correct in that I don't think that many US folks think these models are that noisy!

------------------
    StereoStereo

7. adrianh

adrianh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is a general question about fan noise, but focused at Gordon, as he is a NEC PG owner also.

Are there any tweeks to reduce the noise level of these projectors. Mine is Ok on louder films, but a bit intrusive on dialogue scenes.

The NEC's computer origins might lend it to a fans swap from a newer quiter PC. I wonder if this was an issue with Runco, and if they had quiter fans.

The projector is a stand mount about waist height and can't be repositioned anywhere else in the room to reduce the problem, so a tweak seems the only choice.

Any suggestions are welcome

AdrianH

[This message has been edited by adrianh (edited 05-01-2001).]