• Introvert

Votes: 17 65.4%
  • Extrovert

Votes: 9 34.6%

• Total voters

simonlewis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This got me thinking today who leads a better life an introvert or an extrovert, i wouldn't be surprised if the answer is extrovert.

All subjective really. Most introvert's would hate the extrovert lifestyle and vice versa.

it doesn't stop me thinking though that extroverts gets the better deal in life.
Blow that always needing to be the centre of attention party animal nonsense :D

I always thought an Introvert was only an Introvert until it was something they were interested in. An extrovert is someone that isn't interested in any anything other than themselves.

I always thought an Introvert was only an Introvert until it was something they were interested in. An extrovert is someone that isn't interested in any anything other than themselves.
No an introvert is someone that is shy and keeps themselves to themselves, ie, dosen't like the attention, an extrovert is the opposite.

Being Bi-Polar puts me in both camps [emoji3] They are both good for me [emoji106]

No an introvert is someone that is shy and keeps themselves to themselves, ie, dosen't like the attention, an extrovert is the opposite.

This is a very specific definition of introvert:

"Definition: Contrary to what most people think, an introvert is not simply a person who is shy. In fact, being shy has little to do with being an introvert! Shyness has an element of apprehension, nervousness and anxiety, and while an introvert may also be shy, introversion itself is not shyness. Basically, an introvert is a person who is energized by being alone and whose energy is drained by being around other people."

Obviously it was written in order to make introverts not feel bad about themselves :), but there is an element of truth in it.

Not many extroverts on avf, probably why most people are here, if you saw me in a pub i would probably be hiding in some corner it doesn't stop me thinking though that extroverts gets the better deal in life.

I wouldn't even go to the pub! I find it very difficult to make small talk, even if it's with people I've known for years. I dread such situations and try to avoid them wherever possible. Hint to others: when I say "I'll think about it", it means "no, but I'm fobbing you off until the last minute".

I think it's easier to be an extrovert. I find social situations very difficult to handle, especially if I am a confined space with lots of people present that I don't know. I was at the birthday party for a friend's one year old a few years back and I had to go outside for about 20 minutes as I just couldn't cope. My introversion and shyness makes me very self-conscious - I doubt if you'd get many extroverts worrying about something like that. In the child's birthday party scenario, they'd probably be right in the middle, singing away and waving their arms around. Me, I'd rather hide in a cupboard.

It is possible for introverts to become more confident in certain situations. I managed this at my last job, where I could easily hold my own in meetings and make my point. I certainly wouldn't say that I was an "extrovert" in these types scenario. Now I have a new job to start in a few weeks, I'll have to restart from the beginning again!

As Irongiant says introvert/extrovert has nothing to do with 'shyness'. An extrovert can be as shy as an introvert and vice versa. The definition is about were your 'energy' is centred. An introvert will get this from within themselves while an extrovert get their energy from others (will bounce of others inputs etc.).
I am squarely an extrovert but can still be 'shy' in certain circumstances but I work best in groups of people.
Saw a great sketch about this that basically showed that an introvert gives their energy to others and hence will feel 'drained' when in groups. While extroverts sort of 'feed' of the energy of others so will feel energised in a group.
Neither group has more or less fun. A group of extroverts will most likely be louder than a group of introverts but both groups can be just as happy.

I wouldn't even go to the pub! I find it very difficult to make small talk, even if it's with people I've known for years. I dread such situations and try to avoid them wherever possible. Hint to others: when I say "I'll think about it", it means "no, but I'm fobbing you off until the last minute".

I think it's easier to be an extrovert. I find social situations very difficult to handle, especially if I am a confined space with lots of people present that I don't know. I was at the birthday party for a friend's one year old a few years back and I had to go outside for about 20 minutes as I just couldn't cope. My introversion and shyness makes me very self-conscious - I doubt if you'd get many extroverts worrying about something like that. In the child's birthday party scenario, they'd probably be right in the middle, singing away and waving their arms around. Me, I'd rather hide in a cupboard.

It is possible for introverts to become more confident in certain situations. I managed this at my last job, where I could easily hold my own in meetings and make my point. I certainly wouldn't say that I was an "extrovert" in these types scenario. Now I have a new job to start in a few weeks, I'll have to restart from the beginning again!
You are either an introvert or an extrovert, or middle ground. You can't be an introvert one moment and extrovert the next. You can be an introvert and put on the extrovert facade at times, but ultimately if you're an introvert you'll need that time alone to recharge your batteries. Likewise, an extrovert may at times want to be alone but it doesn't detract from the fact that they are still an extrovert and need to be around people (and not necessarily the center of attention - which not all extroverts need that kind of attention).

I'm very much an introvert but I can put on the face of an extrovert whenever needed. I can be the center of attention, I can give speeches, sing/perform in public, but at the end of the day, I'll need my alone time because the days like those drain me physically, emotionally, and spiritually. It just sucks that being a husband and father I often have to wait to get that alone time, sometimes weeks if you don't count sleep/bathroom breaks/driving (which probably keeps me sane).

The oddballs are the people that enjoy alone time as much as they do as being around people and will gladly do either. Those are the people I'm envious of. It's pretty rare though.

I find that some people are delusional about which they are. Some extroverts claim they are introverts and vice versa. My wife for instance is an extrovert but swears up and down she is an introvert.

Why stop at introvert/extrovert. Let's go all the way with Meyers Briggs. I'm an INTP

Confused by abbreviations here :)

This is a very specific definition of introvert:

"Definition: Contrary to what most people think, an introvert is not simply a person who is shy. In fact, being shy has little to do with being an introvert! Shyness has an element of apprehension, nervousness and anxiety, and while an introvert may also be shy, introversion itself is not shyness. Basically, an introvert is a person who is energized by being alone and whose energy is drained by being around other people."

Obviously it was written in order to make introverts not feel bad about themselves :), but there is an element of truth in it.
This sums it up for me, I also think a true extrovert doesn't know they are and that somebody who tells you they are one is probably an exhibitionist .

Thanks Simon :thumbsup:

You have
Extrovert or Introvert (E/I)
iNtuitive or Sensing (N/S)
Thinking or Feeling (T/F)
Percieving or Judging (P/J)

It must be remembered that these are just preferences and we will all display attributes from all types at certain times or situations. Your Myers Briggs 'type' is just what your natural preference is towards. I found understanding this very helpful within my work environment as I have some significantly different preferences compared to my peers. Without realising this it did cause some frustration and issues. Being able to take these differences into account has certainly helped me as well as understanding there is no 'right' or 'wrong' type just different types.

Who has a better more enjoyable life? Introvert or Extrovert? Surely it depends upon the circumstances and how someone chooses to live their life?

Looking at Jules' post above, an introvert thrust into circumstances described will feel uncomfortable. But an extrovert would feel equally uncomfortable in other environments. For example whilst social unease may mar the life of many introverts, perhaps loneliness would be an issue for extroverts? If so perhaps you could argue that - for the bulk of the populace - introverts have a harder time earlier in life as it is perhaps more difficult to thrive in many professions and form relationships. By contrast perhaps extroverts suffer later in life if they are left as sole survivors once partners and friends have passed on? I have to admit, I am probably closer to the extrovert end of the scale and - every now and then - get a sense of fear of an old age where I am entirely alone with no one to talk to.

You have
Extrovert or Introvert (E/I)
iNtuitive or Sensing (N/S)
Thinking or Feeling (T/F)
Percieving or Judging (P/J)
Don't know what it makes me but the first five letters spell out the beginning of Einstein :)

I was thinking ANALyst :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom