interview dress code?

djt111

Prominent Member
Reaction score
whats the norm now for an interview can i get away with smart polo shirt / trousers/ shoes ect or shirt and tie?

Generally you can't go wrong with a suit for any type of interview.

No employer is ever going to mark you down for turning up smart, even if that isn't their normal working attire.

I work in an environment which has a smart dress code but generally not suits and ties. A small number of people wear suits but that is their choice. Same with a lot of partner companies including European and American ones. You can go hundreds of days without seeing your colleagues in suits - but come the days of formal meetings with customer like bid presentations, contracted design reviews its suits all round.

What I'm saying is that even in a casual environment when it comes to formal meetings, the suit is still the norm.

Cheers,

Nigel

Generally you can't go wrong with a suit for any type of interview.

No employer is ever going to mark you down for turning up smart, even if that isn't their normal working attire.

I work in an environment which has a smart dress code but generally not suits and ties. A small number of people wear suits but that is their choice. Same with a lot of partner companies including European and American ones. You can go hundreds of days without seeing your colleagues in suits - but come the days of formal meetings with customer like bid presentations, contracted design reviews its suits all round.

What I'm saying is that even in a casual environment when it comes to formal meetings, the suit is still the norm.

Cheers,

Nigel
Exactly that....same here....Heck most days I'm in shorts and T-Shirt (I work from home mostly) but when going to a client site its shave, hair cut, ironed shirt/tie, clean well fitting suit and polished shoes that sparkle :)

Generally, going smart and formal works best and is the safe ground.

The one exception I would point out is for people applying for mid-level or junior-level jobs in the arts and media industries. From my own experience (and a few drunken conversations with hiring managers), turning up in a suit marks you out as someone who might not 'fit'.

Smart(er) is still the way to go for arts and media, but bear in mind the people you'll be working with; no need to go too formal and dress in a suit.

Ironically, contrary to the strong, left wing liberal outlook, people in the arts and media can be very judgemental when it suits! (No pun intended! ;))

Generally, going smart and formal works best and is the safe ground.

The one exception I would point out is for people applying for mid-level or junior-level jobs in the arts and media industries. From my own experience (and a few drunken conversations with hiring managers), turning up in a suit marks you out as someone who might not 'fit'. Smart(er) is still the way to go, but bear in mind the people you'll be working with; no need to go too formal.

(Ironically, contrary to the lefty liberal outlook, people in the arts and media can be very judgemental when it suits them! ;))
There are suits and there are suits aren't there :)

But of course the key question is what for...whilst you don't offend anyone in a suit (although I'm not so sure about that anymore as I had a discussion with a few on here who get offended by calling them sir or mr) in certain roles/jobs it is simply not required and I wouldn't go for the expense of one if you haven't got one already...

But of course the key question is what for...whilst you don't offend anyone in a suit (although I'm not so sure about that anymore as I had a discussion with a few on here who get offended by calling them sir or mr) in certain roles/jobs it is simply not required and I wouldn't go for the expense of one if you haven't got one already...

+1

I worked in a call centre and the uni library when I was at student. I bought a (cheap) suit the day before the interviews - and subsequently returned it within an hour of the interviews ending.

A right faff and I felt like an idiot turning up to interviews in an ill-fitting suit.

There are suits and there are suits aren't there :)

Agree with not buying one specially if it is not needed. As I say you can never go wrong with a suit but it would be a very poor employer who marks you down if you just turn up smart - possibly one not worth working for.

If you have a suit wear it, if not and there is no other need to buy one, just go in as smart as you can.

Cheers,

Nigel

Personally I would always wear a smart suit, shirt and tie.

When I've been doing the interviewing, I expect candidates to make an effort. That doesn't have to be a suit, but should be presentable. A colleague and myself had a guy turn up for a first interview in a big shaggy jumper. We both laughed afterwards.

Last edited:
A suit's always great!
- If a well experienced senior candidate in your field of work, with a CV that speaks for itself, then you could probably ditch the tie, going for the "business casual" look

You only have one chance to make a first impression, and that first impression can be very important.

That is why I would always advocate at least be smart, preferably wear a suit.

I'd wear a suit. Maybe different if it was a job being a mechanic at a garage at the corner of the street.

Always a suit, regardless of the position youre applying for.

Agree. Whatever it is a suit is the way to go. As has been said you only ever have one chance to make a first impression.

I've seen people come for job interviews as if they have just got out of bed in jeans and a t-shirt, strange mentality to think that would be acceptable.

Agree totally on the suit and tie, even if they say its an "informal" interview.

To go off topic a little.... have known 2 people in my career who were insanely intelligent but barely articulate, no social skills, dubious hygine etc. One in particular used to wear the same shirt to work for a month based on the big coffee stain down the front which was subsequently joined by a number of lunches by the looks of it.

They were used as the brains behind the throne. Asked for their advice/ opinion/ thoughts etc but never put infront of a client, customer, team etc.

Always wondered how they get their jobs, do they actually clean up ok or does the brilliance shine through the gravy stains?

Agree totally on the suit and tie, even if they say its an "informal" interview.

To go off topic a little.... have known 2 people in my career who were insanely intelligent but barely articulate, no social skills, dubious hygine etc. One in particular used to wear the same shirt to work for a month based on the big coffee stain down the front which was subsequently joined by a number of lunches by the looks of it.

They were used as the brains behind the throne. Asked for their advice/ opinion/ thoughts etc but never put infront of a client, customer, team etc.

Always wondered how they get their jobs, do they actually clean up ok or does the brilliance shine through the gravy stains?

Every great number 1 is good at spotting a number 2 that could never pose a threat to their position for just the reasons you outlined, see there's plenty of space for everyone on the corporate whore train. All aboard!

I don't think you need to wear a suit. That's a bit old hat as far as I'm concerned. My last interview for a senior role, I wore smart black slim fit jeans, brown brogues, shirt and blazer. Got the job.
Just dress smart. I went to an interview a few years back and the CEO tuned up in jeans, shirt and shoes, and since then, that is what I have worn.
But it does depend on the job. I guess something sales related, the suit is still the go to. Or maybe might be business specific. But software houses, it's all about the smart casual these days.

Just look smart, also clean shoes and clean fingernails.

*Pictures op turning up in tuxedo with diamond bright fingernails and iridescent shoes at a job interview for the local back street garage*

Mechanic: You sure you're in the right place mate?
OP: Doh! I knew I shouldn't have listened to AVF, after all most of them interact with the world via a screen as the compulsively buy new gadgets they don't need. Thanks AVF!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom