internet surfing

Discussion in 'PS Vita Forum' started by richiecas, Oct 20, 2005.

Tags:
  1. richiecas

richiecas
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    This is probably a silly question but I am thinking about getting a psp and have read that you can surf the internet on it.
    Is this correct an how do you do it when there is no keyboard, mouse.... to enter addresses or select items on the websites

2. daredevil

daredevil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

It can surf the net, but it isnt very easy.

To enter addresses or text, you are taken to a screen full of characters- it is a bit like entering your name on a game and very cumbersome.

Selecting items are either done with an arrow, as you would with a mouse, controlled by the nub pad or using the D-pad to highlight clickable links on the webpage.

Generally it can surf the net but its not user friendly, so navigating anywhere is so slow.

I stick to my ibook.

Kind regards

Daredevil ;)

3. bl0ckev

bl0ckev

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +244
    Well i currently surf the net from the comforts of living room.......... being wireless just feels like having a laptop but in my view better! :D

4. zantarous

zantarous

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +816
    Its no where near like having a laptop surfing the web is a gimmick at best on the PSP, it cumbersome and so slow. If you have a wireless network you are far better off using a laptop. I tried it a few times and once the novelty wore off I never touched that feature again.

5. richiecas

richiecas
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Does anyone know if there is a way to store favourities and access them which would save entering loads of text?
    Any rumors of a keyboard addon or something coming??

6. figoagogo

figoagogo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +579
    Its easy, I cant recall how without looking at my PSP, but you can save faves, and alter home pages etc!!!

7. dekoded

dekoded

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Although it's no replacement for a laptop, web surfing on the PSP is better than than most PDA type devices, mainly because the screen size and layout makes it much easier to view pages. The various screen fit options are also useful and if/when logic 3 release the fold up usb keyboard then it will make it much easier. http://www.gameseek.co.uk/productdetail/PSPfhyaqce6he5x223r/

It's just a pity there are so few free/open hotspots about.

One problem with the PSP browser is that it can run out of memory when trying to display pages, I've increased my cache to the maximum and I also found having a memory stick that's nearly full causes problems as I assume it is used for temp files or similar.

Browsing can be a little slow, but I'm using encryption which doesn't help, but actual file download speeds are actually very good.

I suppose I would put it this way, if you have a laptop and a wireless connection then you won't want to use the PSP browser, however if you don't have a laptop but have access to a wireless connection then it could come in useful fo a bit of casual surfing, you can even read the news on bbc.co.uk (or possibly something more exotic) while your'e on the throne :smashin: isn't technology great!
    (just prepare to get pins and needles in your legs)