Internet Stability Question

Blackdragons

Standard Member
Im on Orange, and for the last two weeks, by internet connection has been disconnecting constantly. Its nothing to do with any phone connections, filters or the like, as I have tested my connection directly into the master socket, with no phones connected. It also will have days where it is fine, but the next day will be rubbish again.

All this disconnecting has screwed my IP Profile, so I have a really slow speed at the moment. Interestingly, though, the connection is very stable now. That is the main focus of my question. What's the reason the connection is so stable now? What changes when the speed of my connection changes? This might help me understand where the problem lies when my Profile is increased again.

These are the modem stats:

Downstream Upstream

Data rate(Kbps)
287Kb 440Kb

Noise Margin
22 28

Output power(dBm)
126 183

Attenuation(dB)
28 8

Last edited:

New Start Neil

Distinguished Member
I'm pretty sure this thread would be better off in the ISPs forum, but in the meantime, what have Orange said about your issue?

Steven

Senior Moderator
You say you have tested directly in master socket. So did Orange say the line fine?

Also do you use wi-fi or cable?

Blackdragons

Standard Member
I use cable. This has happened before, and Orange did a line test and said my speed profile was fluctuating. My profile was then reset, and everything went back to normal. I just dont understand why it happens when my connection is at full speed, but not when it is very slow (like now).

I am waiting on them to email me back (email gets far better results than phoning an Indian call center, who have no clue).

Last edited:

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Interestingly, though, the connection is very stable now. That is the main focus of my question. What's the reason the connection is so stable now? What changes when the speed of my connection changes?
ADSL basically trades off noise margin and sync speed. Noise margin is your tolerance for noise (errors, interference) so a slower speed will give you a bigger noise margin which can tolerate more problems.

beerhunter

Novice Member
Using the Master Socket is not good enough when trouble shooting. You need to use the Test Socket under the Master Socket's faceplate to eliminate your internal wiring as source of the problem.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom