Internet speed

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
OK, thanks for that.
Re reliable speed test from your previous post, I don't have Netflix, is there an alternative that you know that I could use?

They all seem to be very hit and miss with TVs. There is Internet Speed 2 I think in the LG store but even that is rubbish and I find all over the place.

The problem is that a lot of the speed tests spin lots of connections up to try and go faster and max your bandwidth, which is fine on a computer but not great on a TV. The TV just needs one single fast enough connection to stream UHD at around ~25Mbps or so.

Are you noticing any issues streaming TV? What Apps\sources do you use?

dave47

Novice Member
They all seem to be very hit and miss with TVs. There is Internet Speed 2 I think in the LG store but even that is rubbish and I find all over the place.

The problem is that a lot of the speed tests spin lots of connections up to try and go faster and max your bandwidth, which is fine on a computer but not great on a TV. The TV just needs one single fast enough connection to stream UHD at around ~25Mbps or so.

Are you noticing any issues streaming TV? What Apps\sources do you use?
Can't say that I'm experiencing any problems really. I tend to watch YouTube quite regularly, as well as catch-up services such as iPlayer. I do find that when browsing that thing are quite slow which prompted me to check the speed in the first place. I contacted the retailer initially about it who immediately rubbished VM. VM said it was probably the TV. I then contacted LG and was very disappointed with their response, gave me the impression that I was dealing with the 'fobbing off' department rather than technical support. Going round in circles like this and getting angrier as the weeks went by led me to the point of considering going with Sony.
It's a pity these people who we have to turn to can't provide the kind of support as found on this forum.

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
Web browsing doesn’t normally need that much bandwidth either. It uses far less than streaming, however, it does have to get multiple parts for the web pages and those say heavy with advertising can load quite a lot of data. Typically a lowered power CPU as found in TVs would not be as good as a conventional device.

What model of TV and how old is it?

I have had VM for years and yes they are far from perfect, sometimes customer service can be rubbish and if in doubt blame the other party. However, in terms of speed, I can only get 35Mbps or so on Openreach and that doesn't cut the mustard these days :( I have also had business lines provisioned at my house and the customer service can also be hit and miss. Typically with first-line CS they are just reading scripts and following Knowledge articles to try and help resolve the problem. As soon as the problem goes slightly off the known areas though it can be luck of the draw in who you speak to as to how helpful they can\will be. :)

dave47

Novice Member
Web browsing doesn’t normally need that much bandwidth either. It uses far less than streaming, however, it does have to get multiple parts for the web pages and those say heavy with advertising can load quite a lot of data. Typically a lowered power CPU as found in TVs would not be as good as a conventional device.

What model of TV and how old is it?

I have had VM for years and yes they are far from perfect, sometimes customer service can be rubbish and if in doubt blame the other party. However, in terms of speed, I can only get 35Mbps or so on Openreach and that doesn't cut the mustard these days :( I have also had business lines provisioned at my house and the customer service can also be hit and miss. Typically with first-line CS they are just reading scripts and following Knowledge articles to try and help resolve the problem. As soon as the problem goes slightly off the known areas though it can be luck of the draw in who you speak to as to how helpful they can\will be. :)
It's the LG 48 C1 which is till within the 28 days returns policy. Been in touch with the retailer who seem happy to take it back. Going to speak with them today as to a suitable alternative, either a replacement C1 or a equivalent Sony.

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
I have two CX's any particular websites that are slow as can check if you want to see if it's comparable to mine. They should have reasonably fast processors.

I did upgrade to a USB3 to Ethernet dongle (though the TV is USB2) this can give up to 200Mbps on some tests.

dave47

Novice Member
I have two CX's any particular websites that are slow as can check if you want to see if it's comparable to mine. They should have reasonably fast processors.

I did upgrade to a USB3 to Ethernet dongle (though the TV is USB2) this can give up to 200Mbps on some tests.
I just tried it and as we were on the subject I googled 'tv Internet speed test' the first in the list was a YouTube recommending the Netflix app. This was quite slow opening with the rotating busy icon for about 30 seconds, once up and running was OK. The other is gmail which shows a blue opening timeline that scrolls across before it opens.

I too have tried the USB 3 ethernet dongle which did show a slight improvement but nothing dramatic.

Just as a matter of interest could you try the fast.com test your LG as a comparison?

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
Just as a matter of interest could you try the fast.com test your LG as a comparison?

So as mentioned have two TVs one 77 and one 55, both are CX models and have a USB3 to Ethernet dongle and wired to a gigabit switch

Download/Upload (ping ms) speed in Mbps:
Test
LG CX-77
LG CX-55
Fast.com (in browser)15/59 (11ms)27/51 (11ms)
Speedtest.net (in browser)30.66/51.8 (17ms)138/51.56 (9ms)
Netflix - help section79.96259.93
Internet Speed 2 - LG App Store (I think)16.3/41.2 (66ms)142.6/13.2 (68ms)

So my speeds on fast.com are slower than yours with the CX77 being frankly terrible on that score. I even did a physical power off at the wall so the TV did a reboot but no difference.

I think the CX55 has always been quicker from memory, no idea why there is such a difference and I have done the usual troubleshooting steps, change cables etc on the 77.

Netflix however numbers both are more than adequate for their streaming service and any other on the market at the moment that's what counts.

I didn't find the LG browsing experience particularly good on the 77 but don't use it anyway so it doesn't bother me as much.

There are reports of some users swapping out the same model and getting much better results. The LG 77 I have is a good PQ from a banding point of view so reluctant to swap. I am also using the USB dongle so bypassing any NIC issues.

Ask your retailer to swap it and see if it is any better.

gibbletts

Can't say that I'm experiencing any problems really. I tend to watch YouTube quite regularly, as well as catch-up services such as iPlayer. I do find that when browsing that thing are quite slow which prompted me to check the speed in the first place. I contacted the retailer initially about it who immediately rubbished VM. VM said it was probably the TV. I then contacted LG and was very disappointed with their response, gave me the impression that I was dealing with the 'fobbing off' department rather than technical support. Going round in circles like this and getting angrier as the weeks went by led me to the point of considering going with Sony.
It's a pity these people who we have to turn to can't provide the kind of support as found on this forum.
Televisions aren't meant for Internet browsing, if you're expecting the same performance from a television as a laptop, tablet or pc you're going to be disappointed, they don't have the processing power. They're OK for looking at the odd page but anymore than that will be a frustrating experience.

Morden

Distinguished Member
Televisions aren't meant for Internet browsing, if you're expecting the same performance from a television as a laptop, tablet or pc you're going to be disappointed, they don't have the processing power. They're OK for looking at the odd page but anymore than that will be a frustrating experience.
I would also view using tv to browse as a security risk, unless your using antivirus, not sure how effective it is on a tv.

Or are using perimiter antivirus on router, similar to what netgear offer on orbi routers.

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
I would also view using tv to browse as a security risk, unless your using antivirus, not sure how effective it is on a tv.

Or are using perimiter antivirus on router, similar to what netgear offer on orbi routers.

It's a possibility but the particular exploit would have to target WebOS which would limit usage.

The perimeter "AV" stuff stops it after the fact and not necessarily before so wonder actually how effective it would be.

Morden

Distinguished Member
It's a possibility but the particular exploit would have to target WebOS which would limit usage.

The perimeter "AV" stuff stops it after the fact and not necessarily before so wonder actually how effective it would be.

True forgot it was webos on the tv.

Netgear armour on specific devices claims to block traffic before it hits the device or on IOT devices picks up abnormal traffic.

What are the latest features of NETGEAR Armor? | Answer | NETGEAR Support
What features does NETGEAR Armor offer? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

TranKmasT

Novice Member
Hi Dave,

I have the same TV and virginmedia. I recently upgraded from 200 to 500 Mbps(getting 543Mbps actually) from PC. Has mentioned there seems to be a set limit at around 100Mbps for TV. I'm getting around 90 with a 40Mbps upload according to speed checker, ticks all the boxes. Mine is wired to their HUB 3.0, getting similar speed using wifi too.
Have you been able to better your speed since last post?

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
Your TV is typically limited by a 100Mbps network port so will typically give around 90Mbps on a speed test. That’s fast enough for all the built in apps to stream UHD

dave47

Novice Member
Hi Dave,

I have the same TV and virginmedia. I recently upgraded from 200 to 500 Mbps(getting 543Mbps actually) from PC. Has mentioned there seems to be a set limit at around 100Mbps for TV. I'm getting around 90 with a 40Mbps upload according to speed checker, ticks all the boxes. Mine is wired to their HUB 3.0, getting similar speed using wifi too.
Have you been able to better your speed since last post?
No, didn’t make any progress. As regards wired connection the speeds you are achieving would be about right given the limitation of the TV’s port of 100 mbps.
As the LG was a recent purchase I reached out to the retailer (Richer Sounds) and they agreed to take it back and provided a full refund. I replaced it with a Sony A9 and all the issues disappeared. The wired mbps jumped from 40 mbps to 95 mbps and the Wi-Fi jumped from a dismal 34 to 300mbps.

According to LG the TV could not possibly be at fault and had to be a problem with the internet provider. This seems strange considering that the Sony is achieving the speeds that I expect connected in the same way with the same internet provider.

If I have learnt anything from this, it would be to stay away from LG.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B Update, B&W Panorama 3 & Q Acoustics Reviews, HDR PQ EOTF/Gamma Calibration Discussion
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom