Question internet setup/connection issue

Jimbo69

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am trying to connect my Sony Bravia 40EX403 to the net.I need a uwa br100 lan adapter which has been discontinued, so the 2nd hand prices are very steep. Does know off a generic alternative that i could try? I have tried using a wired connection but although it says its set up ok it will not connect to the internet so i am a bit stuck. Any help much appreciated.

You can always use a wireless bridge. That's a device that acts as a wireless connection between your network and a wired device.

If you wanted the adapter then one common trick was to buy one with the same wireless chip as the manufacturer's. You'd have to do the research and find out what the Sony one used though.

Bear in mind that online functionality in TVs is often poorly supported in the long term so the apps you want to use may have been withdrawn.

That's a 6 year old TV - I know because I have the same model.
Mine is connected by wired ethernet OK but very few of the inbuilt apps now work properly.
You won't be able to use it for Youtube or BBC iPlayer for example.
Therefore, I'm not sure why you should be bothered about getting it online anymore.

Hi Chris, wanted to access netflix via there net site. Have been using my sons ps4 but thats not an option right now. Tried using ethernet connection, says connected ok but when i refresh content i get a 2200 or 0 error can not connect. TV still works well hence why i dont want to buy a new one. may try connecting pc to telly and running netflix that way but it will be messy ,wires wise.

TV web browsers are often even more useless than apps generally so there's a good chance it wouldn't have run Netflix that way even when new.

Chris can give you a good idea of which apps do still work to test the connection.

An external computer or streaming stick is the way to go, you can get pretty small ones these days that just stick out of the HDMI port.

An external computer or streaming stick is the way to go, you can get pretty small ones these days that just stick out of the HDMI port.
Would something like a amazon firestick do the job?

A Firestick or Chromecast connected via the HDMI port should work.
I just had a surf around on my same model Sony. Nothing worth having via the network IMO.
There's Tagesschau, DW TV (German), Sony Entertainment (with free 7 days before a paid subscription is needed), Amazon Video (didn't test this), Green Channel and a couple of classical music facilities (Berlin Philharmonic performances).
Seems rather German centric to me.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom