Internet security software

=adrian=

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I have the most secure computer ever existed since I switched to Kaspersky Internet Security 6 months ago.

I was Norton Internet Security user for a number of years, but got fed up with their pricing, so end of last year I decided to switch. Kapsersky was an obvious choice. Fast forward 6 months and with regular scans and the software running all the time, it detected 0 viruses, 0 malicious files, no malware or spyware or anything dodgy at all in all of that time.

NIS was always reporting and deleting tracking cookies, from time to time trojan virus, it was blocking malicious websites, etc. Kaspersky seems to be happy just sitting there and doing sweet f all.

Anybody else uses Kaspersky Internet Security 2015? Does your detect stuff?

You don't scanning software. All you need is a firewall to block worms and such. Then makes sure the only stuff you download are from trusted sites, so don't use p2p or warez sites and don't open any link/files from emails you have no idea what it is. Follow those rules and you really shouldn't get a virus at all :)

You don't scanning software. All you need is a firewall to block worms and such. Then makes sure the only stuff you download are from trusted sites, so don't use p2p or warez sites and don't open any link/files from emails you have no idea what it is. Follow those rules and you really shouldn't get a virus at all :)
:laugh::rotfl::facepalm:

;)
If only it were that simple
Yahoo malware enslaves PCs to Bitcoin mining - BBC News

Unauthorised YouTube adverts exposed by security firm - BBC News
YouTube ads spread banking malware
Malware delivered by Yahoo, Fox, Google ads - CNET
NBC Cleans Up Site After Citadel Compromise | SecurityWeek.Com
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-32704043

Even our favourite AVForums wasn't/isn't immune
AVForums virus? | AVForums

Sadly even if you only ever visit legit websites, the only way to be safe on the internet is to have up-to-date anti virus software. I'd suggest you should download one pjking, & run a scan just to be on the safe side:smashin:

Last edited:
:laugh::rotfl::facepalm:

;)
If only it were that simple
Yahoo malware enslaves PCs to Bitcoin mining - BBC News

Unauthorised YouTube adverts exposed by security firm - BBC News
YouTube ads spread banking malware
Malware delivered by Yahoo, Fox, Google ads - CNET
NBC Cleans Up Site After Citadel Compromise | SecurityWeek.Com
Jamie Oliver website hit by malware for a third time - BBC News

Even our favourite AVForums wasn't/isn't immune
AVForums virus? | AVForums

Sadly even if you only ever visit legit websites, the only way to be safe on the internet is to have up-to-date anti virus software. I'd suggest you should download one pjking, & run a scan just to be on the safe side:smashin:

There's really no need, I've tried, many times and all they ever find are tracking cookies. I don't need some scanning software to tell me where they are or how to remove them. Thanks for your concern though :)

Only need to have the misfortune of visiting a compromised, legit site once for you to get infected, & then it will be a right pain to fix...

Most if not all you posted were caused by adds, so just use an add blocker? If I ever got a proper virus all I'd do is just format and reinstall. There's nothing on my rig except games and all saves are stored on the cloud so it's no biggie for me

I have an adblocker. I still get adverts on Youtube. Also the trojan that was on AVForums wasn't related to ads either.

If you get a virus that's stealing your cloud/banking/shopping passwords, stealthily in the background, how are you going to know that you're infected & need to format & reinstall, if you don't have any anti virus to notify you?

Last edited:
I don't run any antivirus either, no need to. If you're careful you can avoid virus quite easy. For peace of mind I'll run a free malware scan once every 6 months or so just to check.

Although I'm not in the seemingly mad group who don't run an anti virus, I'm certainly dead against paying for one.

12 years of tech support for home (in a team dedicated to dealing with infected machines) + enterprise support has taught me:

Chrome (most secure browser)
Ad block add in.
Microsoft security essentials (or if you're on windows 8 it's called defender and automatically activates when you uninstall your current av)

99% of users get infected, AV or not because they click that "speed up your PC" advert, or click on that email from natwest and download the attachment. They use torrent sites with no knowledge of what to look for to avoid infection.

An anti virus can go a small way to stopping this by actively scanning your download, but unfortunately most people just open it anyway lol.

Make sure you always backup your data, then no matter what happens you can just reinstall your OS.

So i decided to run spybot and malware bytes to see what I would find. Spybot found 3 cookies and 2 things related to Firefox, which I personally haven't used since 2008. So someone has used my pc and thought using firefox was a good idea.

Here's a pic of the spybot result
upload_2015-6-7_20-37-29.png

MAlware bytes found nothing but possible unwanted programs. Every single one of them were wanted. It found stuff like automated mice programs, prime95, football manger scout, cpuiz and core temp etc.. I didn't take a screenie of this though.

So since i last formatted my pc (aprox 18 months ago), I personally have managed to acquire 3 tracking cookies and someone has picked up 2 other really minor issues.

Maybe im just statistically 1 in a billion or maybe I'm just don't daft enough to go places or use programs that are known for dishing out viruses like confetti

Oh n adwcleaner > malwarebytes

So i decided to run spybot and malware bytes to see what I would find. Spybot found 3 cookies and 2 things related to Firefox, which I personally haven't used since 2008. So someone has used my pc and thought using firefox was a good idea.

Here's a pic of the spybot result
View attachment 594908

MAlware bytes found nothing but possible unwanted programs. Every single one of them were wanted. It found stuff like automated mice programs, prime95, football manger scout, cpuiz and core temp etc.. I didn't take a screenie of this though.

So since i last formatted my pc (aprox 18 months ago), I personally have managed to acquire 3 tracking cookies and someone has picked up 2 other really minor issues.

Maybe im just statistically 1 in a billion or maybe I'm just don't daft enough to go places or use programs that are known for dishing out viruses like confetti

Although each to their own and I bet I could run with no av quite easily because like you, I know where not to go and not to do, no 1 tool detects all infections, personally I run 12 different tools on infected machines as some tools don't detect some types of infection.

Although each to their own and I bet I could run with no av quite easily because like you, I know where not to go and not to do, no 1 tool detects all infections, personally I run 12 different tools on infected machines as some tools don't detect some types of infection.

Yes I'm aware of that, but so far I've tried 2 programs and found nothing. I really wont even bother wasting my time with anymore. If i were a person who uses warez or p2p sites, those two programs would've found all sorts of crap, of that I'm 100% sure.

Yes I'm aware of that, but so far I've tried 2 programs and found nothing. I really wont even bother wasting my time with anymore. If i were a person who uses warez or p2p sites, those two programs would've found all sorts of crap, of that I'm 100% sure.

Every one uses the internet differently if my machine gets buggered I can quite happily reinstall and any data of value is not stored on the pc.
But not every person is pc savy and so commercial anti virus products exist.

Just going to add that Kaspersky Internet Security is also free for people that bank with Barclays.

I've scanned my system with Spybot and it found quite a few tracking cookies, so it looks like Kaspersky is not able to found these. I think I'll be going back to Norton after the year is up.

Tracking cookies aren't malware. There's no need for spybot to highlight them other than to show the user 'See, I'm doing something'.

Tracking cookies aren't malware. There's no need for spybot to highlight them other than to show the user 'See, I'm doing something'.
NIS was removing them on regular basis. KIS is not. Whether tracking cookies are something to worry about, that's another matter.

Do you know what tracking cookies are?

Every time you visit a website you get a tracking cookie so the website knows you've visited. You visit Amazon, you get a tracking cookie, you visit Tesco you get a tracking cookie, you visit BBC you get a tracking cookie, you visit this forum you get a tracking cookie.

NIS deleting the tracking cookie is the equivalent of you going to your web browser & clicking 'clear browser history'. I'm sure if you go into the Kaspersky settings you can tick a box & force it to 'detect' cookies & delete them but is completely pointless for it to do so.

Do you know what tracking cookies are?

Every time you visit a website you get a tracking cookie so the website knows you've visited. You visit Amazon, you get a tracking cookie, you visit Tesco you get a tracking cookie, you visit BBC you get a tracking cookie, you visit this forum you get a tracking cookie.

NIS deleting the tracking cookie is the equivalent of you going to your web browser & clicking 'clear browser history'. I'm sure if you go into the Kaspersky settings you can tick a box & force it to 'detect' cookies & delete them but is completely pointless for it to do so.
I think you are mistaking normal cookies with tracking cookies. Those are not the same.

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/-tracking-cookie-definition,news-17506.html

"A tracking cookie takes the regular cookie process one step further and sends a log of your online activities, usually tied to your Internet Protocol (IP) address, to a remote database for analysis."

"However, some cookies are designed by programmers to send specific user information, which can include names and addresses, out to the tracker host."

"If the host recognizes a cookie on the browser whenever an ad or page is loaded, it can send the record of your visit to the logs and more precisely target you with ads geared to your next visit. Some ads will even address you by name and mention your location."

"Most Web browsers have made Do Not Track an optional feature that users can switch on, but most websites don't honor it."

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom