1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Internet radios

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by sjdigital, Apr 28, 2005.

1. sjdigital

sjdigital
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are there any devices available that will simply plug into a broadband internet connection, connect to the hi-fi and deliver internet radio stations just like an ordinary radio? I want to be able to get, in particular, BBC radio while based abroad and want to avoid going down the satellite dish route if possible. And equally I want to avoid having to have my computer on and hooked up to my hi-fi. Does such a thing exist?

2. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,884
    You can get products to allow you to listen to stuff on your PC like this one which also allows you to listen to internet radio. Or were you hoping for a standalone option that doesn't need a PC ?

3. sjdigital

sjdigital
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for this suggestion, but what I'm looking for is a box that plugs into my broadband router and picks up internet radio stations that I can then play through my hi-fi. Does such a thing exist I wonder?

4. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,884
    There's some info here maybe if you look at that and do some research based on it.

5. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,251
    The Netgear MP101 will play back Internet radio from a broadband connection but I don't recognise any of the station names so I doubt you'll get BBC.
    Try searching on Shoutcast which is one of the technologies I've seen around.

6. sjdigital

sjdigital
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again, guys, The Register web site showed exactly what I am looking for but they don't appear to have reached the market yet. I had a quick look at the Shoutcast site but didn't see anything relevant but I'll dig a bit deeper.