Question Internet radio????

Ned Senior

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am trialling tidal just now, usually just use deezer elite and also tunein....via my sonos kit
Yesterday I dug out my old pc and set it up connected to the tv with at the moment pc>hdmi>tv>optical>amp

I intend to pick up a meridian explorer 2 next week

Now to my question...... I am not really bothered with constantly twiddling to select tracks, I have no files stored So I prefer to just select a radio station and just listen

So where on the web via pc can I find the widest choice of radio stations at fairly high quality sound??????
I mostly listen to modern R&B, ragga/reggae but also classical and some light rock

Cheers hoping for some direction as I am not much of a websurfer

The Tune-in app on a phone or tablet will cast to a Google Chromecast, which would give you control & do away with the PC.

I was going to suggest Radio Tuna for content but it seems to be offline at the moment.

The Tune-in app on a phone or tablet will cast to a Google Chromecast, which would give you control & do away with the PC.

I was going to suggest Radio Tuna for content but it seems to be offline at the moment.

The tunein app on my sonos connect does the trick......
I am just rummaging various options to get a better sound but on the cheap haha
I hope to get a decent dac for the pc and try that way,
Smart tv's vtuner app is down at the moment I fear due to a tv firmware update maybe
I had a pile of stations stored too grrrrr

These guys have it nailed - TuneIn (formerly RadioTime) is the largest and best "portal" for all web radio. It runs natively in a web browser or from an app on any current smartphone. Best of all the major hifi manufacturers from Sonos through Linn have implemented TuneIn in their products hence presets or browsing from your (free) account is very simple.

TuneIn is also well executed within the Bluesound system of players and speakers.

These guys have it nailed - TuneIn (formerly RadioTime) is the largest and best "portal" for all web radio. It runs natively in a web browser or from an app on any current smartphone. Best of all the major hifi manufacturers from Sonos through Linn have implemented TuneIn in their products hence presets or browsing from your (free) account is very simple.

I like the word 'Free' it sits very nicely with me

If 'Free' is close to your heart, then I would have thought a cheap streamer like the Google Chromecast audio ~£30 (sounds very decent, via its optical output) would be on your shopping list, rather than the Bluesound Node 2 at ~£500 - especially for internet radio!

If 'Free' is close to your heart, then I would have thought a cheap streamer like the Google Chromecast audio ~£30 (sounds very decent, via its optical output) would be on your shopping list, rather than the Bluesound Node 2 at ~£500 - especially for internet radio!

It doesn't unwrap mqa though!!!!
Every now and then I subscribe to a streaming service or other for a month or two.......
However just this week I have been forced to relocate and move home, and am not sure how much music I can listen to at more than minimum volume in the new flat,
Bit of a bummer after having bought some new floorstanders last month

Yeah, the versatility of the BlueOS and it's handling of MQA files you may have or stream from Tidal HiFi is important to me too. I love it. The continuous improvement and free upgrades is a big hook for me.

Sorry to hear of the forced relocation and plight of your new speakers being so restricted. I hope that situation can be rectified soon.

Yeah, the versatility of the BlueOS and it's handling of MQA files you may have or stream from Tidal HiFi is important to me too. I love it. The continuous improvement and free upgrades is a big hook for me.

Sorry to hear of the forced relocation and plight of your new speakers being so restricted. I hope that situation can be rectified soon.

Ken what did you use before the Node??
I have a sonos connect and it is bugging me to maybe try out a node 2 instead to maybe improve sound quality????
Bit nervous of splashing £500 if its not a hit!!!!
Another option is to rummage fore the bits and connect up an old pc to arcam ir dac via usb

I had NOTHING before I bought a demo model Vault (not Node) in December 2015 and it's TEAC disk reader failed after a couple months. Still under warranty they had released the Vault 2 by that time so offered me an upgrade for the price differential. I have since bought 3 of the original Node (N100) and gave them to my son, daughter, and brother. Two of those were used, one new. Here the older model had closeout pricing of $300 US new, the others were used for $259 and $212.25 off eBay. My cousin also bought a used one off ebay for similar pricing.

All are very happy with the unit, all but my son use an Android tablet to run it. He uses his phone or laptop PC.

My point is that all the Bluesound streaming devices are stone reliable (save the earliest run of Vault V500 with the disk reader issue), backward compatible, regularly upgraded free, and extremely well supported by the maker. And they sound fabulous!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom