• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

internet radio stations

Just Old

Banned
Having ripped all my cds to flak and onto a nas, I now find that some of the radio stations sound better than some stored albums although the radio station may only be streaming in 125Kb.....Anyone else notice this? Why should this be?

mike7

Distinguished Member
Depends on the spec you have established for your ripping. I have just completed a similar exercise to 320kbps. I'm not always convinced by the conversion to flak. I think a lot depends on the quality of the original recording. Some CDs leave a lot to be desired.

Panos Danas

Established Member
I was wondering why today in 2017 internet radio stations quality of signal is awefull. Very small bit-rate and why this meanwhile we have high internet speed again.

Sonic67

Banned
I was wondering why today in 2017 internet radio stations quality of signal is awefull. Very small bit-rate and why this meanwhile we have high internet speed again.
Not every country has high speed broadband. I didn't have it until I paid extra. Presumably if the streaming is at a low bit rate then, globally, more get to listen.

Cebolla

Prominent Member
That is taken into account by the decent providers supplying multiple streams of varying quality & audio formats for the same internet radio station.

The best example I know of this is Jukebox Radio's JB Radio2, that is even available as a hi-res 16bit/192kHz Ogg FLAC 2000kbps stream!
JB Radio2 HiRes FLAC stream

Sourced from:
JB Radio2 Options

Last edited:

Panos Danas

Established Member
Thanks mate
poor again but at my setuation spotify and pirate bay and surfing all at hte same time with no problem to something.No extra charges and my speed is 24kbs . The solution to the problem just like youtube , choose the resolution to station by option. 2 years I didn't listen FM only Spotify for its good sound and now I usualy listen FM ang generaly there is a problm

Panos Danas

Established Member
That is taken into account by the decent providers supplying multiple streams of varying quality & audio formats for the same internet radio station.

The best example I know of this is Jukebox Radio's JB Radio2, that is even available as a hi-res 16bit/192kHz Ogg FLAC 2000kbps stream!
JB Radio2 HiRes FLAC stream

Sourced from:
JB Radio2 Options
Awesome i've try it and the quality kick ass thanks again

Panos Danas

Established Member
love it!

PiperCub

Banned
Having ripped all my cds to flak and onto a nas, I now find that some of the radio stations sound better than some stored albums although the radio station may only be streaming in 125Kb.....Anyone else notice this? Why should this be?

Could depend a lot on the way it's being ripped and the actual file settings used and software used too. The sound quality of my flacs from an nas without any compression, utilising db power amp cd ripper, is far superior to any streamed internet at 125kbps.
What software are you using, settings, nas set up and hi fi do you have too?

Panos Danas

Established Member
I want to be more precise I live in a capital city and i own a sensitive system with a home theater radio-amplifier. when i hear Frequency Modulation radio i get at least 0,35% total harmonic disortion. I believed the solution is to turn to live24 witch have digital radio stations FM I recognize (local) I was very disapointed. Its a drama folks. The quality today is hard to find. Thank you all.

Panos Danas

Established Member
No worries, glad you love it. :)

Coincidentally, Jukebox Radio is listed as a European internet radio station originating from Greece, so it appears you have some compatriots to thank too!
I dont like juke box radio I prefer JB

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom