Internet radio regional restrictions

mickbirch2000

Why are there regional restrictions on good quality internet radio stations?
For instance on the Node 2i using Tunein there are several Hi-res stations Ogg/Flac 24/96 & Ogg/Flac 16/48 that can only be accessed by the "Favourites" workaround.
On my Lyngdorf TDAI 1120 Vtuner doesnt even find :-
Mother Earth Radio
Radio BluesFlac
95bFM
Chill Out Zone Plus
JB Radio-2 to name a few high sound quality stations.

Lossless stations are pretty difficult to find.

gava

Advertising, music industry lobbying, and stupid random government interference has more or less destroyed internet radio compared to its early days.

It's a mess and that's for sure.

mickbirch2000

Advertising, music industry lobbying, and stupid random government interference has more or less destroyed internet radio compared to its early days.

Thats what I suspected, so we are stuck with lossy streams 128khz MP3 49khz AAC typical for so called popular radio that sounds flat murky & projects no stereo width or depth.
Thanks OFCOM you are a waste of taxpayers money.

larkone

Why not just play them in Chrome browser and cast them to your 1120 - that's what Chromecast is for.

xmb

Naim are really good with internet radio. They have a separate section listing hi-definition radio, which includes:
  • Mother Earth Radio
  • Radio Blues
  • 95bFM
  • Chill Out Zone Plus
Naim work hard to keep their offering updated. Lyngdorf could do better in this respect!

larkone

Naim work hard to keep their offering updated. Lyngdorf could do better in this respect!
Nothing to do with Lyngdorf, the issue is with vTuner. You can access any radio station you like that has a webpage and then cast to any device that supports Chromecast. The perceived limitation of included internet station software isn't really a limitation with some minor effort.

Cebolla

Yep - the music industry's grip on the UK is not going to end soon given that we are such a music mad cash cow and can no longer use EU membership to claim parity. The nonsense of it not being legal to rip your own music CDs for personal use is another such example.

Cebolla

Why are there regional restrictions on good quality internet radio stations?
For instance on the Node 2i using Tunein there are several Hi-res stations Ogg/Flac 24/96 & Ogg/Flac 16/48 that can only be accessed by the "Favourites" workaround.
On my Lyngdorf TDAI 1120 Vtuner doesnt even find :-
Mother Earth Radio
Radio BluesFlac
95bFM
Chill Out Zone Plus
JB Radio-2 to name a few high sound quality stations.

Lossless stations are pretty difficult to find.

I believe you are taking two separate issues here and presenting them as one.

Ogg FLAC is still extremely rare audio format for internet radio streams and the vast majority of streaming devices don't actually support it. That's the likely reason for Internet radio station aggregator services, like vTuner and TuneIn not providing the links to any Ogg FLAC streams, preferring to currently only providing the links to bog standard MP3 & AAC streams that are used by almost every internet radio station and supported by virtually all streaming devices.

The High Court ruling against TuneIn & subsequent failed appeal was to do with the ease of use that TuneIn provides its UK users to search for unlicensed (by the music industry) non-UK internet radio stations. The UK streamer user is still free to manually search online for non-UK internet radio stream links, including Ogg FLAC ones and legally play them on the streamer.

Last edited:

Tony212

The issue with TuneIn was unfortunate for UK listeners as most foreign stations disappeared from the lists.

As my streamer uses TuneIn I now use other radio aggregator apps on my phone and cast the streams to my system using a Chromecast Audio device. Some streamers use built-in apps other than TuneIn, so presumably they still work for the moment.

My concern is that as the TuneIn case has set a precedent, can we expect other apps to suffer the same fate, making it increasingly difficult to manage internet radio streams?

mickbirch2000

Listening to Radio Blues , streamed via Node 2i & TuneIn quality ,
Ogg/FLAC 44100/16/2 1021000 khz fed digitally (coax) into the Lyngdorf TDAI 1120, then analog Dali Rubicon 2s & REL sub ,
Amazing quality, how music should be transmit, uncompressed , like a veil has been lifted.
Unfortunately TuneIn only let you listen to 10mins using the favourites workaround on the Node before the stream stops & an error message appears.
I understand that Naim streamers are good for listening to this type of high quality radio streams, anybody have info on Naim.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom