Internet radio and squeezebox

scrufftyguy

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi!

Can someone clarify for me if it's possible (once set-up) to switch on the squeezebox classic and a wireless router and connect directly to internet radio stations by using just the remote, even if the pc running squeezenetwork/squeezecentre is off?

Thanks! :)

Hi!

Can someone clarify for me if it's possible (once set-up) to switch on the squeezebox classic and a wireless router and connect directly to internet radio stations by using just the remote, even if the pc running squeezenetwork/squeezecentre is off?

Thanks! :)
Yes, that works, you will have to connect your SB to SqueezeNetwork instead of SqueezeCenter an you can do that with the remote.

Thanks for the reply! :smashin:

That's good news! How do you connect to SqueezeNetwork using the remote, do you use a PIN, I guess i'll be able to connect using my Harmony One?!

Thanks for the reply! :smashin:

That's good news! How do you connect to SqueezeNetwork using the remote, do you use a PIN, I guess i'll be able to connect using my Harmony One?!
Yes. You select SN as a source (it's "Settings->Music Source" in the main menu but it also asks during the setup process if you don't have a server machine).
When you first connect, you will be given a PIN and then you enter that PIN in your SqueezeNetwork account (through SN's web interface).

After that, you can just switch since SN will recognize your SB.

Seems straightforward enough! Thanks again for your help! :smashin:

Just thought..will the BBC stations still be available even if the PC's off, as I gather you have to install the Alienbbc plugin onto the PC that's running Squeezecentre?

From Internet Radio > Local on SqueezeNetwork (Which is assuming I'm in London) :rolleyes:

BBC Radio 1 98.8 (Modern Rock) (64 kbps)
BBC Radio 1Xtra (Hip Hop) (64 kbps)
BBC Radio 2 89.1 (Adult Contemporary) (64 kbps)
BBC Radio 3 91.3 (Classical) (64 kbps)
BBC Radio 4 93.5 (News) (64 kbps)
BBC Radio 5 Live 909 (Talk) (64 kbps)
BBC Radio 5 Live Sports Extra (Sports Talk) (48 kbps)
BBC Radio 7 (Comedy) (64 kbps)

And they do all play :smashin:

The Stations listed at Internet Radio > More Radio > BBC don't for some reason :confused:

So I can get pretty much all the bbc stations even if my pc is off? :)

Download the software emulation of the SB3, connect to the Squeezenetwork and try for yourself what works.

I've taken your advice and just set up a squeezenetwork account. Does that mean any of the stations that are listed will be accessible while my pc is off? :)

Thanks for all the advice! I've just ordered myself a classic! :smashin:

Cool, you will enjoy it!

You can download and install the server software from the slimdevices web site then get your choonz ready for the arrival of the new addition, if you haven't already done so.

Does anyone know why BBC 6 Music doesn't seem to be available?

Does anyone know why BBC 6 Music doesn't seem to be available?

It's available via SqueezeCenter/Squeezebox Server on Both Alien BBC and BBC iplayer and also supposedly at SqueezeNetwork/MySqueezebox.com in Internet Radio > More Radio > BBC. But as previously stated I can't get that particular set of stations to play at present.

My personal preference is through SqueezeCenter/Squeezebox Server where you not only have the live streams but also all the listen again facilities :smashin:

Sorry. I've obviously got a lot to understand about how the radio stuff works on the SB. It seems needlessly complicated to me. I found a list of BBC stations under Internet Radio-> Local and assumed that was it. (The bit rates I'm getting for those stations are higher than what's quoted above).

Would someone be good enough to point me in the direction of a resource that explains what on earth (no pun intended) AlienBBC is and how I can access listen again?

As you're in the UK, you don't need AlienBBC - because you can download the BBC iPlayer plugin instead.

Load SqueezeCenter, and look for the plugin's page. Check the box, and the plugin will download to your Mac/PC - or NAS (if you have one).

Just received my squuezebox today! :smashin: I can't find the iPlayer plugin in the list...do I have to download it from somewhere else? Thanks!

If memory serves, I got the plugin via the extensions downloader. Log into Squeezecenter (7.3 or better) go to Settings > Advanced > Extensions Downloader.

Thanks for that, your memory was spot on! :smashin:

Cheers!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom