Internet Problems

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by simon_beard89, Aug 14, 2006.

1. simon_beard89

simon_beard89

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am acting on behalf of someone else.

He has a dial up pay as you go internet account on his windows pc. Last week he could no longer connect to the internet because an error came up saying 'no dial tone'.

We checked the connections, they are all ok and the telephone on the same line has a dial tone, we even called the help line and set up a new account from scratch but this did nothing.

Could this be a fault with the modem, even though windows says its working fine?

Also there was a fault on the telephone line which BT fixed, the phone works so theres no reason why the modem shouldnt! or is there?

Would appriciated some help

2. triplea4uk

triplea4uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Have you checked 1571 I know few people that had messages on there which don't ask me why would mess up there dial up.

Why is this person still on dial up? it would be cheaper and better to move to broadband theres some very cheap ones around now

3. simon_beard89

simon_beard89

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good point, but there is no bt answerphone, just a normal dial tone.

I agree, but hes a eldely man, who only wants to check to see if he has any textual emails, once a week. Thats all he will ever use the internet for. So he wouldnt even get his money out of even a basic broadband package, so pay per minute is the cheapest option for him rite now.

4. andrew1810

andrew1810

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    I saw this a while back, on the dial-up connection settings, check the modem it is using to dial out, sometimes it changes to a voice modem or similar and gives the no dial tone error.

If its not that, try a different modem to rule that out, you should be able to get one for peanuts in ebay

5. Stiggy

Stiggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,043
    Have you had any lighting strikes nearby recently? I've seen a couple of modems fried by lightning.

6. simon_beard89

simon_beard89

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ill have a look at the dialing settings, but i think you might be right, there was a lightening strike on the line, which bt had to fix. I though it could have been fried but i imagined windows would come up with a hardware error if it had got fired by a surge.

I have a spare modem ill try at some point, just a long boring task of finding working drivers for it off the web! Prob just get him to by a new one.

7. triplea4uk

triplea4uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I know you said the person only checks mail once a week so maybe he should take up one of them free broadbands with the 1/2gb limit a month there seems to be a few around now. Well worth looking into it atleast.

Have you tried another lead from phone socket to modem maybe that was damaged, next just re check over all the settings are correct even try using pulse to dial out.

8. simon_beard89

simon_beard89

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    its up to him.

Tryed a different cable, even a different phone line, tryed pulsh dialing too. Prob the modem!