internet problems, browsers not working?

verloc

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I'm having internet problems with my HP laptop. I'd really appreciate your help.

Basically when I open a browser and try to open a webpage it doesn't work. It just says "waiting for Google.com" for example. This is the same with IE, FireFox and safari.

However Skype works and I think some things are updating and some programmes are accessing the internet.

Therefore it looks like I'm connected but not able to access websites. I've been searching on internet for answers but can't find a solution. Someone at work advised that I should reinstall IE but how can I do this without internet and why are none of the browsers working?

Also to note, phone line is fine and the HTC desire I'm using to type this connects to wireless fine. I've set out more info below:

The icon in the bottom right hand corner says that the wireless is connected.

The HP support assistance troubleshoot says the internet status is wireless network connection, type is wireless LAN and it says the device. When I do a network check it says signal strength 100%, it detects the wireless network and is connected. The only negative I can see is that the internet IP address is unavailable. Not sure what this means.

If I go to the control panel, network, view network status and tasks and click on the actual connection it says IPv4 connectivity: internet. IPv6 connectivity: no network access. Media state: enabled. Speed and signal quality look fine. The activity looks ok too with sent and received both increasing. When I click on Diagnose it says "Troubleshooting couldn't identify the problem"
When I try to get online support it says I'm not connected.....

Since it first stopped working it has worked briefly once but then stopped again. Also just before it stopped working I'd bought and was about to download avast internet security (i already had the trial version).

I'm stumped and would love some ideas about how to resolve this. Please bear in mind and as you can probably tell, I'm not very IT literate. Many thanks.

open Command Prompt(in Accessories) and type ipconfig then press return. If you are connected to the net and i'm assuming you have a router you should get a 192.168.xxx.xxx address. If you dont then you're not connected. Try connecting to the router with the wired connection(network lead).

try putting this in a browser 212.58.244.67 (its BBC - Homepage) if it works and you get to the bbc then your DNS settings are the issue - set your dns setting on your network card to 8.8.8.8 (googles dns server) if it doesnt work then.....im wrong.

I'm having the same issue with my wired pc just started on Monday for no apparent reason. I can connect fine to the router, my IP address is fine and Skype is connecting when I log on. I have tried auto detecting DNS server as well as trying Google DNS but no joy.

I just tried connecting directly to the BBC ip above but ie returns "cannot display the webpage". Chrome returns "the server at BBC.co.UK can't be found because the DNS lookup failed".

I have a couple of other computers on my home network and all connect to websites no problem.

Anyone got any ideas?

I have tried auto detecting DNS server as well as trying Google DNS but no joy.

Where are you trying this? Setting the DNS on the router won't do anything as that's already working, you need to check the settings for the network card (connection) on the PC.

You can check whether the PC is getting the DNS addresses and other DHCP information by opening up a command window (start menu, type cmd, hit enter) and running ipconfig /all

Doing all this on the pc, only thing I've done to the router is switch it on and off (about 4 times).

Ipconfig returns the same DNA server address as the router s have them set to auotmatically detect at the moment.

I've exhausted my expertise I think, have checked that the firewall isn't blocking anything, tried changing DNS and IP settings and as far as I can tell there is some other issue with the pc. It's probably something straight forward that I'm just missing!

@DNW79 - your problem is with the one machine as your post confirms that other machines work OK. Have your machine set to get its IP address from DHCP.(basically all set to automatic) Open Command Prompt and type ipconfig /flushdns. Then reboot machine and try the net again.

Just tried this Maf, still getting the same error and the msg dns server not responding. Have had a look at the services on the pc and restarted anything related to dns, IP's and dhcp. Any other ideas?

Update although don't think I have made any progress....

Have just managed to connect to Google using 74.125.45.99, still can't connect using Google.co.UK though so can only assume I have a dns problem. I've currently set the Google dns which nslookup is returning correctly?

Further update, I have tried pinging both the Google and my isp's dns servers from the problem pc ( which is on my network with internet access) but the request times out.

The same pings from another pc return info no problem.

Anyone got any suggestions - should I uninstall and reinstall my network drivers?

change network lead. Use one from machine that works. Connect it directly to router and try different LAN port. Disable Anti Virus / Internet Security and make sure windows firewall is off.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom