Internet Over 4/5G

DPinBucks

Distinguished Member
Just an enquiry out of interest:

I'm with 3Mobile, and the other day got an email about their 4G internet service. It's £22 a month (min 24 months). £23 if not already a customer. For that, they say you get a WiFi hub offering up to 100MBpS, max 64 devices and unlimited data. They're also throwing in a 32" LG TV at the moment. When available, the 5G version will be £29pm.

This seems to me to be good value on the face of it. 100MB is good enough for even high-def streaming, so long as it's generally reliable and the local signal quality is OK.

I'm not thinking about getting it as I'm quite happy with BT Halo, but I wondered where the catches are. It would be a good idea for a second broadband connection if you wanted one.

Also, I'm not at all familiar with where the technology and products have got to these days, so I suppose they're all offering something similar?

Timalay

Them telling you up to 100Mb doesn't mean you'll get that. What kind of speeds are you getting at the moment on Three 4G?

DPinBucks

Distinguished Member
Them telling you up to 100Mb doesn't mean you'll get that. What kind of speeds are you getting at the moment on Three 4G?
Yes, I appreciate that, and Three also make that clear.

According to OOKLA I'm getting anything from 30 to 70 mbps over my 4G cellphone connection, which is not great, but then I'm not really considering it at the moment. I just thought that on the face of it it seems good value. I would expect that a dedicated hub would be optimised for data, which ought give a bit better performance.

depot

A friend used 3 for mobile broadband in his holiday static caravan for a couple of years, it was a life saver for him, but had variable quality, it was more of a single device at a time sort of thing, this was on 4g only, might well be different if you can get a 5g signal.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom