Question Internet not from broadband

Discussion in 'General Tech & Gadget Forums' started by jamtheman92, Nov 25, 2017.

1. jamtheman92

jamtheman92

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    So i switched broadband providers from sky to bt. It wasnt connected on the day they promised and still isnt one week later. After spending 4 hours on the phone hearing the same 2 phrases 'im sorry' and 'i understand your frustration' about 57 times i have given up on them. I only have myself to blame i have heard stories about them being awful but still went ahead and im not paying the price. BT have done a job on me.

Anyway in the mean time while i am waiting for them to work out how to switch my internet on i have usrd all my data and am now paying for data by the mb. Is there any product i can buy from the shops to give me internet in the time being ? I am not very smart so i dont know alot about computer things but i do know alot of you are very smart.

Any help would be very appreciated.

2. Crafty

Crafty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +683
    You can get USB dongles to do that, look at the mobile phone providers.

I don't know if they still do it, but 3 used to sell a PAYG sim card for £25 that had 12gb of data included that was valid for a year - be careful because some of the PAYG ones only give 30 days to use whatever allowance they have.

Edit: Dongle I found on amazon, not sure if its a decent price or not, but gives you can idea of what you are looking for https://www.amazon.co.uk/Huawei-Unl...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=MHEMV5M4K96HMXGTQDJK

3. jamtheman92

jamtheman92

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Thanks this is something i would want. I only need it temp for a week or 2 till i get connected.

I will look online i should be able to get one instore

4. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,531
    Don't go for the USB modem these days. A 3G travel router is often just as cheap and more likely to be useful in future. The Mobile Network Three as well known for them under the mi-fi brand, although they're often not particularly cheap, so their shops are worth a look.

From the comment about paying per megabyte it sounds like you're using your phone. They just function the same way, and you can tether your smartphone to your computer to get internet on your PC through the mobile network although it will still use your data allowance so you'd have to contact your network about increasing it temporarily.

Most other internet connections like Satellite, FWA and Virgin will take a couple of weeks to set up.

5. jamtheman92

jamtheman92

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Thanks again guys. Going to take your advice and go get a sim from three when i get home on monday and then teather from my iphone.

Hopefully bt get their act together.

6. cosmicma

cosmicma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    if you are already subscribed to bt ( just waiting for connection ) you should be able to use their wireless network that is open to BT subscribers

thats if anybody near enough to you has BT broadband / fibre, if there is a wireless network within range called BT wifi with fon you should be able to use that wifi network

What is BT Wi-fi with Fon? | BT

7. jamtheman92

jamtheman92

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Thanks i will try that when i get back home .If not will get that three sim. Seems like a fair deal