Internet much faster on phone wifi than on PC Ethernet (powerline) OR PC Wifi?

theonematt

Standard Member
Reaction score
I recently upgraded to 150mb full ultra fibre. On my phone wifi, I am getting rougly 70mbps (I'm supposed to get a guaranteed 100mbps, but whatever).

However, on my PC it seems to be capping at about 40mbps. I'd like to highlight that I have tried this using both a 600mbps powerline, and a 600mbps wifi adapter. Neither of these are bringing me speeds like my phone's wifi.

I'm sorely disappointed, as these speeds are pretty much identical to what I was getting on my fibre/copper service. It seems to be only the PC suffering from slower speeds.

Does anybody know what might be causing the problem?

My specs:

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600

Motherboard: AB350M-HDV

Powerline Adapter: TP-Link TL-PA4010KIT Nano AV600

Wifi Adapter: Foktech Wifi Dongle, AC600

I'm no expert, but I'd want to exclude the powerline adapter and wifi adapter by plugging straight into the router. Can I ask which provider you are using please?

I'm no expert, but I'd want to exclude the powerline adapter and wifi adapter by plugging straight into the router. Can I ask which provider you are using please?
I'll give this a go but will mean moving my desktop or finding an incredibly long ethernet cable.
I'm in the UK, with Sky Ultrafast Fibre.

Well. I think you were right. It's the powerline. I tried a third one I have lying around and I'm getting much better speeds. Thanks all!

Glad you found the problem. I had a problem with my regular cabled fast broadband (40Mbs) which was slower than my wifi. Turned out I had a duff switch.

Also the guaranteed 100mbps is the sync speed to the router. Not the throughout speed of a Speedtest over WiFi.

Powerlines are generally rubbish when it goes for speed and are generally misadvertised.

A 600Mbps advertised one will be actually lucky to get past 60Mbps in realworld speeds (and no that's not the difference between bits and bytes).

Considering most of them have 100Mbps sockets on them, they can't physically get past that.

Even the 2000Mbps will be lucky to get close to 200Mbps.

I have the same problem with my PC. It's twice as fast on my iPhone.

I've ordered Virgin's Gig1 service to solve it and I'll use an ethernet cable.

It's only £15 a week for a monster 1,130mbps connection.

I have the same problem with my PC. It's twice as fast on my iPhone.

I've ordered Virgin's Gig1 service to solve it and I'll use an ethernet cable.

It's only £15 a week for a monster 1,130mbps connection.
Please make sure that when they connect you up, they don't run extensions and it's just one cable that runs from the junction box to the router. I have heard they sometimes run extensions and this causes issues.

Also another top tip would be to place the router in an open space that's free of cupboards.

See if this sorts out WiFi, but the long term solution would be to install a mesh network and have the virgin hub as a modem only.

Jay

Please make sure that when they connect you up, they don't run extensions and it's just one cable that runs from the junction box to the router. I have heard they sometimes run extensions and this causes issues.

Also another top tip would be to place the router in an open space that's free of cupboards.

See if this sorts out WiFi, but the long term solution would be to install a mesh network and have the virgin hub as a modem only.

Jay

"Modem mode" is not necessary in order to deploy an alternate/supplemental Wi-Fi system unless the "mesh" system you buy insists on being a routing device. If you just want to deploy an additional Wi-Fi system, you need only turn off the built in Wi-Fi AP in the ISP router and leave everything else alone. It's rarely more than a couple of clicks.

"Modem mode" is for fixing "other" things. There's a bit of an Internet Myth that "modem mode" is some kind of universal cure for all Wi-Fi issues. In most cases it is not necessary.

Attached to the "Using Two Routers Together" FAQ pinned in this forum is a block diagram of a SOHO router which might help illustrate this. In "modem mode" we literally turn off everything except the modem which then means we need to (usuallly needlessly) deploy something else to replace it all. But if we just want to replace/enhance the Wi-Fi functionality, this is not necessary: We can just disable the built in AP and leave everything else (modem/router/NAT/firewall/switch) alone. Thence we only need to facilitate additional Wi-Fi AP's (whether "mesh" or otherwise) downstream of the ISP router. This might be cheaper, will certainly be simpler to implement, and when we change ISP (and they send us a new router) it means our Wi-Fi solution will be unaffected by an ISP change.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom