Internet issue

sachman

Standard Member
Reaction score
I havea new PC with windows 10. My internet rarely automatically connects when I wake from sleep. 80% of the time I have to disable and renable the adaptor which works. 20% of the time I have to reboot the router. My mac and iphone in the same room never have connectivity issues. It connects to wifi but no internet comes.
I called the tech team who made the PC and said the PC is not getting an IP address from the router and it's not a fault with the PC or adapter. End of story as far as they're concerned.
My router has auto channel selected.
My IP settings says Automatic DHCP.

It is quite frustrating having to try and connect every day, anybody any ideas?

you could try setting a fixed IP on teh router for the PC as a short term fix until you find a full solution?

If other devices are connecting then it's nothing to do with the internet, it's purely an issue between the computer and your home network.

Which wi-fi adaptor are you using?

I'm using TP Link Wireless N PCI express adaptor

CyberpowerPC Centurion Gaming PC - AMD Ryzen 7 3800X

Could be lots of things. For a start does the aerial have a reasonably unrestricted path to the router? A mini-tower on the floor is about as bad as it gets. What's the signal strength like reported by the PC?

If the signal is weak then an aerial extension cable might help.

I'd also set a static IP address on the PC, not on the router as previously suggested. You'll need to check your router for what IP range is reserved for DHCP & set an address outside of that. That will solve not receiving an IP address from the router, but you'll still need a decent signal.

But for a static PC I'd always choose ethernet. If you can't run a cable consider homeplugs.

CyberpowerPC Centurion Gaming PC - AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Been taking a look at them, problem is there are quite a few, also with variants of motherboards. Do you have the MB model or at least a link to your particular machine?

apologies for the delay, it's been working quite well for a week or two but then in last few days it's played up again. Today my internet has just randomly been dying on my windows every 30min but other devices in the same room working fine (I have a mac and windows next to each other). In order to get the internet to come back i have to disable and enable my adapter.
Motherboard - I'm struggling to find for sure - the possibly MSI G71 -MAD 1057 ?? does that mean anything?
EDIT - might be MS 7B86 model number
I'm with Sky broadband - I don't think I can do a static IP

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Static IP as in turning off DHCP from auto and setting your own IP address as in 192.168.0.1 or whatever.

How to set a static IP address on Windows 10 • Pureinfotech

Are these wired or wireless connections that are dropping?

MSI G71, don't you have any documentation to confirm exactly your motherboard?

MAD 1075 ** I believe refers to the manufacturers (MFI) CD and the drivers etc on it for your build.

will try the static IP address - I read on another site that the DNS servers shouldn't match the default gateway but it seems to in your link

I have been given a lot of papers with the computer. 2 of which are about the motherboard includingthe warranty but it just said 'MSI motherboard' doesn't give a model. The other thing is the CD registration but I don't have a windows optical drive lol.

CD says AMD motherboard G71 MAD1057-N56

Ok so today internet has been terribly unstable which is made worse by me working from home. Really need a solution to this. I'm close to yelling and demanding a new adaptor from manufactureers soon but need to be sure that is the issue
I had a fixed IP address and keep losing internet - says connected but no internet, secured
same as when auto IP address

Last edited:
the signal strength is full, I have a repeater in the next room so it does have a wall between. It is about 10m from the repeater and 20m from the main router

Intermittent wi-fi can often be sourced to local interference from your neighbours. Newer routers from Virgin and BT pump out high signals and are a PITA. Get a copy of inSSIDer to check it. You have to create a userid and password but it's free for personal use. The 2.6 ghz band is often hopelessly congested and a switch to 5ghz can help. If you can actually set the channel then so much the better but that depends on how good your adapter software is.

I'd also set a static IP address on the PC, not on the router as previously suggested. You'll need to check your router for what IP range is reserved for DHCP & set an address outside of that.

DHCP is provided to make it easy for your PC to get an address there is no need to go static.

I read on another site that the DNS servers shouldn't match the default gateway but it seems to in your link

In a home network the first DNS server will be your router the second is usually your ISP's DNS server or it will be something like Google's DNS (8.8.8.8)

the signal strength is full, I have a repeater in the next room so it does have a wall between. It is about 10m from the repeater and 20m from the main router

Why have you got a repeater ? You didn't mention it in your initial post.

Wired Home plugs / Powerlines Wi-Fi
Best------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------>Worst

To fix your networking issues,start at the beginning and either move your PC temporarily so that it is closer to the router and get a suitable length network cable or buy a long(30m) network cable and test the connection via wired first.
Does it maintain a connection ?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom