Question Internet control of gadgets without static IP

Discussion in 'Smart Home, Climate Control & Security Forum' started by Skint247, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Skint247

Skint247
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was wondering how you can control your gadgets at home from outside of your wifi across the internet without a static IP address?

Do you have to buy a specific company's hub and then create an account with that company thus allowing your hub to poll (from your house) for changes? If so it means you are completely constrained by that companies online web interface and it makes the purchase of the hub very important.

Is there a way to achieve home control across the web without such reliance on a 3rd party?

Thx in advance.

2. limegreenzx

limegreenzx
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +337
    Use a DDNS and a VPN connection to your home network. You still need a hub of some sort as home automation networks are not supported in your standard SOHO router.

3. Skint247

Skint247
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks.
    Looking on the web it seems like you need to use a DDNS service; the one I looked at said free so that's good. Presumably there are many, can you recommend one?

4. limegreenzx

limegreenzx
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +337
    I have an Asus router so I used the free one Asus provide with their routers. It's been running for 3 years with no issue.

5. m4rky_m4rk

m4rky_m4rk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +783
    I use No-IP. You get three free DDNS url's but you have to confirm that you want to keep them active every month. I have been using No-IP for years and years. One thing to watch for is some companies block 'some' DDNS url's,,, if you need access from work.

Tip:If testing connection to your network using DDNS you will not able to do it when sat on your own network due to NAT loopback issue. Use your phones 3G connection or another internet connection instead.

Or use IPv6 and there is enough IP addresses for every gadget on the planet to have its own unique IP address :) In the future maybe.

VPN servers can be found your router, NAS. Its quite simple to build one yourself e.g. PiVPN script to install openVPN on a Raspberry Pi. If you have no VPN then you will need to use port forwarding on your router. Not as convenient (only one port to configure for VPN) and not as secure.