Internet Connection

Lord Digby

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have just moved into a new house which has a basement converted into living areas. I have placed my PS3 and Wii down there, but the internet coverage from my wifi does not reach that far. This was clearly an issue for the previous owners, as they have installed numerous BT sockets down there. However, they are not normal BT phone sockets, they have a picture of a "computer" on them and take an Ethernet cable rather than a phone cable. I cannot get an internet connection from these sockets though. I suspect they are not connected.

Could this be a BT linking issue? or do I have to somehow link my master BT socket to this connection? If so how? Next to my master BT socket (from which I run the wifi) I have the equivalent picture of a computer and socket to those downstairs which I am not currently using. Do I have to link this up?

Thanks in advance

Nick

Those sockets are probably to carry an Ethernet Local Area Network to and around the basement. You may also (if you are lucky) find them elsewhere in the house. If there is one of those sockets near to tht BT master Socket, you could connect the BT Home Hub to it via Ethernet and then find the other end of the cable in the basement. To that you could connect a Wireless Access point (or a converted WiFi Router) and get really good WiFi in the basement.

So you need to do a survey and find out which socket is connected to which other socket.

I would be rather pleased to find ethernet (RJ45) sockets in my basement. If you can only trace what connects to what as pointed out by BH, this should be most useful and save you lots of time doing your own cabling.
Wired connections are anyway far better than using (or trying to use) wireless.

Thanks. I have tried all of the above, and cannot get a connection from any of the sockets. I think they have become "disconnected" somehow and will have to get BT out I guess. I have tried a homeplug and that works, but I want this to be a temporary option as I have problems with my PS3 off the wireless even with the homeplug and router.

They're unlikely to be anything to do with BT as they are internal to your premises.
With a portable network tester (Ebay, Maplins etc.) you could probably find out more about where they go.
An LCD multimeter would suffice if you know how to short individual pairs and find/measure the remote end.
Can't you get a better clue physically by following cables with your eye ?
- with judicious (careful) waggling, probably needs a 2nd person to see which cable is moving.
Any chance of getting contact details of the previous owner ?

As Chris said - the sockets are very unlikely to be nything to do with BT. Calling their engineer in could cost you £99+ too. Very expensive for them to say "Nothing to do with us"

Somewhere the cables that feed the sockets you describe must arrive in a bundle for connection to a switch and thnce to the modem router.

Perhaps upstairs in a cupboard under a loose floorboard?

Hopefulltthe previus owner did not do anything as crass as citting them of at source. Mind you anything can happen - I took over a place where every single ligh bulb had been removed, thats mean at its very best.

Keep looking - connecting them up to the router through a swich and then to a Wireess Access Point will give you loads of connectivity. Tough not a gamer my kids appreciated their PS3 connected by Cat5e instead of the wireless connection.

C

Thanks. I have tried all of the above, and cannot get a connection from any of the sockets. I think they have become "disconnected" somehow and will have to get BT out I guess.
How are you testing them because the only thing that they will be 'connected' to is each other - in pairs.

As has been said, they are nothing to do with BT.

Thanks all the advice. What I have done is as follows (sorry for the simple language but I have a lot to learn in home technology)

I have used an ethernet cable from my home hub to the what I think is the top link next to my BT master socket. I have a broadband connection through the HH (hence I writing this message)

I have 14 ethernet sockets, and 3 phone sockets in the basement. I have used another ethernet cable from all these into my laptop to try to get an internet connection (wireless on laptop turned off) I couldnt get a internet connection from any of these 14 sockets. My PS3 tells me wireless signal is 50% (not sure if this is enough) but my laptop works wirelessly but my iphone does not. Whenever I try to connect my PS3 it fails, and hence I guessing the ethernet sockets are down there as the prev owner must have had same issues. It is the same situation with a wii.

Am I doing this correctly? Should I try anything else?

You (or someone with more network knowledge) need to do a proper survey; you have to work out what these sockets connect to - quite likely a patch panel or "distribution box" somewhere in the house. There may well also have been a network switch involved as a normal router usually only has 4 ethernet ports - a network switch expands the number of LAN ports (the so-called "switching" inside it is electronic so it does not contain any physical electromechanical on/off switches or buttons).
A helper + a multimeter (used on ohms, buzzer or continuity settings) would help to fathom this out.
As I previously wrote, is there any chance of contacting the previous occupier of the premises (perhaps via the estate agent or solicitor involved on that side) ?
Alternatively do you have any network conversant local acquaintances who could take a look ?

As you have 14 ethernet connections do you have a patch panel located anywhere in the house, could be in the loft, cupboard etc

http://www.metroinfotech.com/images/PatchPanel.jpg
[Mod Comment: Please do not hotlink images]

Where abouts are you based as there might be a local member who can take a look?

Neil

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you tried looking in the loft space - there have been a few members here that "wired" their homes and utilised somewhere in the attic as the "central" distribution point.

As you have 14 ethernet connections do you have a patch panel located anywhere in the house, could be in the loft, cupboard etc

http://www.metroinfotech.com/images/PatchPanel.jpg
[Mod Comment: Please do not hotlink images]

Where abouts are you based as there might be a local member who can take a look?

Neil

Just as likely whoever owned the place would have taken the switch/patch panel with them.

With so many sockets there must be a bundle of cables hidden away somewhere.

A definite mystery going on here - I am intrigued!

C

Email to prev occupant has been sent, awaiting a reply. Thanks for all the advice.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom