Internet Connection Running Slowly on my Daughter's PC

nheather

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I've notived the internet connection is running sluggish on my daughter's PC.

If I run speedtest.net on hers I get 1200 down and 450 up.

On the other three computers on the network I get 6000 down and 800 up.

I have disconnected the ethernet patch cable at her computer and connected it to my laptop and I get 6000 down and 800 up.

So this rules out all the cabling and routing and isolates the problem to her computer.

I've updated the LAN NIC drivers with no effect.

I've run TCPOptimizer and following it's advice cahnged the MTU to 1464. Again no real effect.

Before I start changing NIC cards are there any simple things I could check.

I running adaware as we speak.

Computer is reasonably capable with a fairly fresh install of XP SP2.

Cheers,

Nigel

Click: Start, Connect to, Show all Connections. What speed is the Ethernet card running at?

I can't follow those particular instructions as the 'Connect To' option is present.

However, if you mean look at the LAN Driver in the Network Connections, and right click to show 'Status' then that is showing 100Mbps.

Adaware revealed nothing.
Running 'thorough' virus scan now.

Cheers,

Nigel

What speed does the local area network connection in Network and Dial-up Connections show?

No dial-up, just ethernet.

As stated above, showing as a 100Mbps connection.

Both adaware and virus checks have reported the PC as clean.

Looks like I'm going to have to change the NIC.

Cheer

Just as a thought, the PC maybe running slow due to 'thrashing' that is to say it is spending to much time paging memory to out to disk due to a lack or real memory. If it is running XP SP2 it needs so have at least 512MBytes of real memory (RAM).

No the PC runs fine. Fairly fresh install of XP, with Office, a couple of games and AVast! anti-virus installed.

Running a AMD64 3200+ with 1GB Crucial Ballistix

CPU and memory loading are minimal.

I can only think it's a problem with the onboard ethernet.

I've managed to borrow a 10\100 NIC which I will try tonight.

Cheers,

Nigel

Now I am at a loss.

Just changed the NIC and if anything it's running slower.

I got 650Kbps download on my daughter's PC and 5700Kbps on my laptop from the same ethernet connection.

Cheers,

Nigel

When you use this PC thats going slow, what else is happening on the network, any downloads on other pcs, gaming, xbox, ps3, etc....

also have you got a router, if so is it showing collisions on the network, or are you using internet sharing?

Doubt it will help, but my PC is connected to a router (connected to a cable modem) via it's ethernet port, and every now and again the connection slows right down, making some pages take forever to open, and other pages consistently fail to open (showing the PAGE CANNOT BE DISPLAYED rubbish) I find that in Network Connections, diabling the 10/100 connection, waiting a few seconds, then re-enabling it sorts it all out. Open Internet Explorer and it's flying again - till the next time!

Only thing I can think of is it's to do with DHCP or something along those lines! As it has to "aquire network address" again when you re-enable it.....

No it's slow all the time regardless of what other computers\xbox\wii are doing.

And if I disconnect the ethernet cable from the back of it and connect it into my laptop, then the laptop runs fast.

I thought of IP addresses. I run a static address network for the main PCs and peripherals, but just in case I had two devices with the same IP I changed my daughter's machine to 'obtain by DHCP'. Aquired a new address but just as slow as ever.

It's not the network cabling, router or IP - it is something within the PC itself.

I've tried turning off the firewall and all anti-virus - still nothing.

Driving me nuts.

Just thought - will try 'Safe Mode with Networking'

If that doesn't help then will apply XP SP3 - but really is clutching at straws.

Cheers,

Nigel

........If that doesn't help then will apply XP SP3 - but really is clutching at straws.

Cheers,

Nigel

Be prepared for a long process - I've just done 3 of my PCs which are relatively high spec, through a line giving a constant 4500 kbps. The download is tolerably fast, but the installation takes ages.

mike.

Running in 'safe with networking' showed no improvement.

Be prepared for a long process - I've just done 3 of my PCs which are relatively high spec, through a line giving a constant 4500 kbps. The download is tolerably fast, but the installation takes ages.

Not much help to you now but I just downloaded the iso from microsoft.com and burnt an install CD.

Cheers,

Nigel

Firstly apologies to Nigel.
Don't mean to hijack this thread but thought it was too similar to start a new thread. I was reading above posts with interest as my connection also seems slow for VM XL Broadband package. I never thought to check my Ethernet Card :rolleyes: but now notice that it is only showing in the status @ 10MB/s. I have it connected through a crossover network cable into a netgear wireless router 54MB/s. Seems a stupid question but will the Ethernet Card be limiting my speed and if so can I change it in any settings or do I need to buy a 100MB/s PCI version?

PCI Card is Realtek RTL8029(AS) PCI Ethernet.

First of all don't use a crossover cable. They have specific uses and Device to Router (switch) isn't one of them.

Yes the card could be limiting your speed but it must be VERY old one.

BTW the 54Mb/s refers to the router's wireless capability (IEEE 802.11g).

First of all don't use a crossover cable. They have specific uses and Device to Router (switch) isn't one of them.

Yes the card could be limiting your speed but it must be VERY old one.

BTW the 54Mb/s refers to the router's wireless capability (IEEE 802.11g).

Thanks for the info beerhunter.

Yes i do use the crossover cable rarely for one specific purpose, but I was not aware it might affect in any way my internet connection.

I think the card is very old tbh, it has one of those BNC connectors as well as RJ45 :eek:

Off to Maplins tomorrow I think to purchase a new card and hopefully I will see some improvement. :smashin:

Changed to a 100Mbs Ethernet Card tonight and standard network cable. There is a noticeable difference in performance:-

[URL=http://www.speedtest.net][/URL]

I think before I was lucky to get 3 or 4Mb/s :clap:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom