• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Internet connection help

JAMESTB

Standard Member
Hi peeps,

I need some help with regards to my internet connection. I can be surfing the net for a while and all will be well. Other times my dongle can turn of by itself losing me the connection. And others my connection can be dropped, reconnect, drop, reconnect then drop and reconnect again.

I have had problems before with my Laptop (Vista) saying I was connected to a "Virtual Profile" which caused similar connection issues. I found a thread saying that some dongles (mine) have problems connecting with vista and the best way to resolve it was to re-install the software yet don't let it install completely, and then set up the connection using Network And Connections. This is what I have done and yet I still get some issues but not the Virtual Profile problem.

I am using a Netgear Rangemax router and a Netgear Rangemax WPN111 dongle. I can be sat with my Laptop on the arm of the chair with the dongle about 10inches away from the router and still have problems.

I regularly reset the modem and router, scan for viruses etc and yet I am now stuck as to what else to try.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

t72bogie

Prominent Member
for starters, try using an ethernet cable direct into the router for a while ...if you experience no problems, then the issue is not with your "internet connection" at all - its with the wireless connection between the devices (most likely)

do a search on here for wireless troubleshooting, and INSSIDER software - this question comes up everyday...lots of advice on wireless performance issues on here

majnu

Distinguished Member

JAMESTB

Standard Member
Hi again.

For the last couple of days I have been using an Ethernet straight from my modem to my laptop. And my connection is brilliant. Which leads me to believe it's either my laptop or my router/dongle. I believe I am running the updated software for my dongle. Any suggestions on how to remedy this?

majnu

Distinguished Member
what is the exact model of the modem, could be handshake issues between the clients and router.

How many devices do you have which have access the internet?

JAMESTB

Standard Member
The router is a netgear rangemax WPN824 v3 and I use a WPN111 dongle.

Normally it's just the laptop connected though occasionally the PS3 is connected too. Though both laptop and PS3 can be on it will be the laptop that loses it's connection more often than not. The laptop appears to turn off the dongle as no light is on when I lose the connection.

beerhunter

Distinguished Member
The router is a netgear rangemax WPN824 v3 and I use a WPN111 dongle.
I'd start by searching for one of the many threads here on using a free utility called inSSIDer to fix WiFi problems. This gets answered, on average, at least twice a day.

The other thing that goes wrong with dongles (which is why i never recommend them) is that they can get knocked or work loose enough to disconnect.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom