Internet Browsing Phone

bigfish808

Standard Member
Reaction score
Just looking for some help/advice on deciding on a new phone.

Currently have a SE W810i and due an upgrade, now want a phone which I can use to browse the internet.

What in particular should I be looking for in a phone to enable full internet browsing?

At the minute thinking about the Nokia N95.

Can anyone recommend any alternatives or know of any phones in the pipeline which may be suitable?

Currently have a SE W810i and due an upgrade, now want a phone which I can use to browse the internet.

What in particular should I be looking for in a phone to enable full internet browsing?

Can anyone recommend any alternatives or know of any phones in the pipeline which may be suitable?

Do you text a lot ?

If so the N95's ideal.

If not have a look at the HTC/MDA Touch.

i second that, the N95 is spot on for browsing, recommend opera mini for reducing data transfer (it compresses the page and images before downloading so you pay a minimal fee) which also works in landscape, but the added bonus of built in wi-fi is perfect :smashin: very easy to connect to a wireless network and a little known tip is to turn down to wifi power from 100mW to 4mW with no discernable range loss, battery lasts ages.

Which one is like carrying a brick around?

Forgive my stupidity but I just assumed the phone used phone signals for the internet, is not the case?! Do you need to be within a wireless range to browse?

Forgive my stupidity but I just assumed the phone used phone signals for the internet, is not the case?! Do you need to be within a wireless range to browse?

The N95 has both HSDPA (for browsing via the phone network) and WiFi (for browsing via local hotspots and your home wireless router).

Using HSDPA obviously means paying your operator for the priveledge. Quite a few operators offer flat rate data access these days though (for example Web'n'Walk on T-Mobile).

i'm got unlimited browsing on orange (evening and weekends) for £5 a month, plus daily charges are capped at £1.50 regardless of usage :smashin:

not bad for the occasional use, plus good enough to stream radio 5 live at the weekends directly off bbc.co.uk :smashin:

Which one is like carrying a brick around?

Neither is like carrying a brick around. The HTC touch is very small and the N95 is easily pocketable.

If you text a lot id go for the n95 as the HTC touch doesnt have a keypad, its all touchscreen.

Neither is like carrying a brick around. The HTC touch is very small and the N95 is easily pocketable.

If you text a lot id go for the n95 as the HTC touch doesnt have a keypad, its all touchscreen.

If anyone knows a T-Mobile shop with any HTC-Touch in stock can they let me know, I've been looking for a week with no luck.

There's only one contender for this - the iPhone (and before anyone shoots me down in flames because it's not here yet, I have posted this message using my iPhone, and I'm UK based, and it works as a phone with my Orange SIM).

The OP asks for "full internet browsing" and people recommend the N95?

bigfish808, if you want proper internet browsing, you really need a device with a touch screen and a stylus. If you want to know why, throw you PC's mouse in the bin and try using the arrow cursor keys to move between links on a page - and then make the IE/Firefox window really small so you not only have to use the cursor keys for navigation, but also strolling around the page. I bet after a couple of hours your will be banging your head against the desk. If you also want to properly 'interact' a qwerty keyboard will be far better than a number pad for longer emails and forums posts.

The N95 has a nice sized screen, and the browser has a couple of nice features. But it's only good for the odd football results or weather, but it's not match for Windows mobile version of Opera, with all it's proper tabbed browsing goodness (which does not fall over at the slightest hint of a bit of Java Script etc).

Yep, as Autopilot says you may find that browsing on a mobile is a less than satisfying experience. I've got an Orange M3100 (touchscreen, styles, qwerty keyboard etc) and the one thing that REALLY lets it down is the screen resolution.

320 x 240 (same as the N95) simply isn't big enough to browse most pages comfortably (without a LOT of scrolling side to side and up and down). There are a few more phones starting to appear with high(ish) resolutions and hopefully a few more will appear this year as the first generation ones inevitably have a few problems.

It's fine for checking the odd web page when you're out and about, but it's not the same as sitting at your PC with a decent sized screen.

I got a T-mobile Ameo just for web browsing, it is VERY big and heavy for a mobile phone, however I just carry it in it's supplied case without the keyboard as to be honest the keyboard is crap and the on-screen keyboard is nice and big and now it will JUST fit into a back pocket.

I think that except for possibly the iphone it's the best mobile surfing device there is (excluding UMPC's), I also use it as a bluetooth modem for my MacBook as I have a Web n Walk unlimited contract and the opera browser is brilliant, I sold my M3100 to help fund the cost of the Ameo which cost me £400.

The ameo is also very good as a Sat-Nav device as it has built-in SirfStarIII chipset and it's really easy to operate tomtom and view the maps due to it's 5" screen.

I would consider an iphone IF it had 3g and I was able to use it as both a bluetooth modem and sat-nav.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom