Internet browser for xbox 360?

Ico.

It's like the keyboard mouse support... it's not there to differentiate the 360 from a PC.:rolleyes:

So I use Mac's :laugh:

CRZombie

apparently there is a way using media centre, but alas its not very good :thumbsdow

no idea how its done though

StevieBuck

Probably would have heard of this if there was. Saying that though, I didn't know the Wii was capable of this??

Codehead

Distinguished Member
The Wii browser is pretty good. Some sites don't like it, Facebook for one (that annoys Mrs Codehead). However, BBC iPlayer works very well through it. :thumbsup:

Paradise671

Standard Member
This would be cool for 360 though, because for ps3 and wii its pretty nice. I think microsoft is scared to lose some money from computer sales

Chrisoldinho

you can get a web browser for it in an arse about face way.

First off you need Vista with Media Center or XP Media Center Edition.

Next configure the Windows Media Center Extender in the Xbox 360/PC.

Finally on the PC, download and install MCE Browser from here:

MCE Browser

Finally, run the 360 Media Center Extender (when your Laptop is running of course!) and you should be good to go.

I haven't done this personally but understand from various forums that it works well.

Hope this helps,
Chris.

mattclarkie

Distinguished Member
I don't understand why people want to have a browser. The PS3 browser is dire, and I think a 360 one would be to.

MS probably don't allow it as it makes the 360 platform much more vulnerable, any server on the internet is open to the 360.

oasismark

Distinguished Member
Its fundamentally a games console, leave it be, we all have pc's.

Sometimes its messing for messings sake.

Sniper Ash6

Distinguished Member
MCE browser i have used but its rather pointless as you need a PC with Vista or XP MC so why not just use IE or the other ones (Chrome, Firefox etc. :))

runam0k

I don't understand why people want to have a browser. The PS3 browser is dire, and I think a 360 one would be to.

MS probably don't allow it as it makes the 360 platform much more vulnerable, any server on the internet is open to the 360.
The PS3 browser is actually pretty good IMO.

It isn't essential but bottom line, it's a super quick and easy way to check email or google something or watch random youtube vids. Much quicker than booting my PC (and how many people have their PCs hooked up to their TVs? I do and I'd still sometimes use the PS3 browser!).

And if Sony can protect PS3 from the big, scary internets, I'm sure MS can too. :D

Sniper Ash6

Distinguished Member
its a lot of work that MS dont need to do as extreme majority of those that have internet have a computer not just internet and 360

Sniper Ash6

Distinguished Member
lol, give him a few weeks or maybe months and he will need to upgrade

Dan 800

Standard Member
I heard a while ago that there was supposed to be a browser with the NXE download but obviously there isn't. I'm guessing in the future there probably will be as knowadays PS3 & Xbox are always trying to copy one another eg. Home and Avatar system, marketplace and PS Store

JethroUK

Is there any way to browse the internet for the xbox 360? Like on the Wii and PS3?

begining to wonder whether i got the right machine - i have to pay extra for wireless nic, pay extra to use it online & i was wondering whether Xbox would work as browser and it appears it's the only one that wont

I don't understand why people want to have a browser.

For ages/years i wanted to be able to browse internet on my 42" plasma + 200 watt sub woofer (instead of my PC in the bedroom) - so i think it's a big big plus

m1ket

The PS3 browser is actually pretty good IMO.

It isn't essential but bottom line, it's a super quick and easy way to check email or google something or watch random youtube vids. Much quicker than booting my PC (and how many people have their PCs hooked up to their TVs? I do and I'd still sometimes use the PS3 browser!).

And if Sony can protect PS3 from the big, scary internets, I'm sure MS can too. :D

Obviously not been seeing all the home hacking thats going on right now

I disagree the ps3 bropwser is good at all it constantly runs out of memory and the quality of the bbciplayer is horrible

If i didnt have a laptop it would use a wireless keyboard and mouse on my ps3

Saying that i have a laptop so would never even concider using it unless i didnt have my laptop..

Last edited:

GMC79

Distinguished Member
For ages/years i wanted to be able to browse internet on my 42" plasma + 200 watt sub woofer (instead of my PC in the bedroom) - so i think it's a big big plus

well there's an asy solution there, just plug your PC into your plasma, not ideal for static images on plasma's but TV's as monitors work well.
I also think there's no point to a browser on the 360, yeah the PS3 has one, big deal. Yeah It works reasonably well but is still just a gimmick for the odd quick use. Leave the 360 to do what it's best at, Games. :)

runam0k

well there's an asy solution there, just plug your PC into your plasma, not ideal for static images on plasma's but TV's as monitors work well.
I also think there's no point to a browser on the 360, yeah the PS3 has one, big deal. Yeah It works reasonably well but is still just a gimmick for the odd quick use. Leave the 360 to do what it's best at, Games. :)
Not everyone's PC is next to their TV. :confused:

It's fine if people don't think they'll use it, but why are people actively opposed to it? Like you say, it's good to quickly view something (email, etc). If it's a quick an easy addition, why not put it in? Why would you not want to have the option?

Besides, the Xbox already does a *lot* more than just play games and I for one am grateful for a lot of those non-essential features. :)

JethroUK

The seeds of my thoughts came from me having nice big screen, nice sound system, V+ cable TV recorder, DVD player/recorder & Playstation 2 (at the time) all connected up in my lounge

I thought wouldn't it be nice to have all singing dancing "entertainment centre" downstairs and the only thing missing was internet browsing - and with cable being right there it seemed little more than frustration

Maybe next gen Xbox should consider "Entertainment in-a-box" and include Internet browser and TV recorder

beasty54

Distinguished Member
I just think its a waste of time for MS to even think about developing a browser for the 360, it really should be left as a games machine. A browser would just be something else for people to moan about when it doesn't compare to firefox or other browsers.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sky set to launch its plug-and-play Sky Stream solution
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Movies Podcast: 26th September 2022
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
AV Podcast: 26th September 2022
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
REL Acoustics announces new Serie HT subwoofer trio