• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Internet access to storage / nas

originalsauce

Hello,

I had a QNAP a few months back for a few months which had this good feature of a Web link accessing a NAS over the Internet... I am going away and would like similar if possible.

I have a hp n54l, asus ac66 router so may be possible through that?

Just wanted to know if anyone uses this type of network access and
1.how would be best, and
2. If it's safe enough?
3. Which route is best such as QNAP? I know we'd have a similar system mycloud

mickevh

Distinguished Member
"In business" we never open up network shares (CIFS/SMB/NFS) to the outside world due to security concerns - we use other methods such as browser based solutions. Even then, we secure it behind a userid and password and possibly set up the protection so that nothing can be added or changed from the Internet (depending on use case.)

There is always a risk when you expose anything the the Internet, ultimately it's a value judgement of the risk versus the convenience and the security mechanism you implement.

There's a few ways to do it:

You could install something on your HP that can offer media sharing, (even if it's th CIFS/SMB it's probably already running - though I wouldn't go that way) a robust mechanism of credentials (login id & passwords) and file permissions. Then you'll need some port forward rules on your router and probably a DDNS service so you can "find" you home from the Internet

Alternatively, you could use a VPN mechanism either on the server or your router (if it allows such) (which will still need port forwards & DDNS and a VPN client on your client devices and a credentials regime.)

I think I'd prefer the latter.

Or maybe look at using a "Cloud" storage solution such as OneDrive, SkyDrive, BT cloud and so forth if the volume of data is low.

It might be simpler to just buy a suitably big USB stick, copy all your files to that & take it with you.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom