• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

International Roaming - What is it?

Indiana Jones

Distinguished Member
On Friday I ordered an iPhone4 with an Orange 2 year contract and off to the left there was an extra labelled 'International Roaming' which was free.

Now I don't turn down free stuff so added it but after a bit of searching I am not sure what this exactly does for me, I plan on going to the US in September and was hoping it will let me make phones calls and texts at my normal rate, any info would be helpful.

achoudry

Prominent Member
international roaming basically allows you to use your mobile while you are abroad. so if you go on holiday and want to continue using your mobile outside the uk, you have to make sure you have international roaming activated on your contract.

also make sure you check charges for making calls and sending texts before you go as they can be quite expensive depending on the country you are visiting.

Indiana Jones

Distinguished Member
So by selecting it when I signed up for my contract I was just telling them to activate it or does it usually cost extra and they let have it for free?

achoudry

Prominent Member
to activate international roaming is normally free. you only get charged horrendous amounts when you make or receive calls whilst abroad.

Indiana Jones

Distinguished Member
Odd that it was listed on the page as an extra when I ordered if it's free :rolleyes:

achoudry

Prominent Member
it might be that as standard, on your contract, it is inactivated (mainly for safety reasons) and can be activated when you may need it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom