1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Internal Window Between Rooms?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by gelf, May 6, 2004.

1. gelf

gelf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is kind of Home Cinema / DIY related so I think it's appropriate for this forum.

I'm currently having a single room extension built onto the back of my house that will be my new cinema room. I have an ongoing article for the new room available here: http://www.dvdlard.co.uk/content.php?id=1385

My problem is the extension goes across the back of the kitchen and covers the kitchen external window. Originally I just bricked up the window and thought I'd rely on the new French Doors in the kitchen to provide sufficient light. Unfortunately this hasn't worked out well and I need to get some more natural light in the kitchen.

My father (who's also my builder ;) ) says to just put a window back where it's bricked up, but I find the idea of a window between two rooms within a house a little strange. I'm just wondering if anyone has any alternative ideas. some ideas discussed so far are:

Glass blocks (other half not too keen)
    Open hole (perhaps with shelving)
    In-Wall Fish tank with both sides showing (again other half not too keen)

Whatever I do I have to make sure that I can block out the light when necessary in the cinema room. Any suggestions guys?

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    The open hole idea could work, though I'd have to see it to know how I'd feel about it. You might easily be able to converse across it between rooms so it may open out/combine the room(s) maybe?

I think that's the option I'd go for.

Gary.

EDIT - just looked at the pics and I think the open hole idea would work (for me anyway). It may affect room accoustics, so maybe the possibility of shutters or similar to close the hole when you're watching a movie?

Gary.

3. [Slip]

[Slip]

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    My friend has an internal rectangular window between his front room and dining room.

It's kinda weird and something that people always comment on straight away!

They have window shelves both side of the window so use it for the usual sort of stuff you'd stick on a window sill.

It will also depend on wether you want to actually "use" the wall, i.e. cabinets against etc

4. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    DOn't do it, it's just wrong and will devalue your house. You know it's wrong really.

Is there a room above your kitchen? If not you could get those light pipes or put ina roof light or 2.

5. fufna

fufna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A lack of light is far more likely to devalue his house than a design feature mate.:rolleyes:

6. gelf

gelf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    fufna,

I was just thinking that as you typed it, a lack of light has to be the worst thing for house value surely. I'm thinking I'll probably go with just the hole and as gary lighfoot says put some sliding shutters in there, during the day the shutters can stay open and we can then shut them as we settle down to a film.

7. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Your lack of light in the kitchen could be improved with a widely spaced double window instead of the proposed shutters.

Two layers of glass 4-6" apart (like a pro studio) will dramatically reduce noise levels entering the house from the HT room. No loss of light and more comfortable conditions in the house.

You might consider having a skylight in the roof of your HT room (with a roller blind to stop light entering when desired) if light levels really are too low for comfort in the kitchen.

I'm not sure whether your HT ceiling is sloping. If it isn't you could have a glazed area in the HT ceiling to bring the light from the skylight into the kitchen. Or have a light tunnel box between HT roof skylight and ceiling to ensure maximum light transmittance to the kitchen window.

Alternatively you could install a (double glazed) door where the present window is betwen HT room and kitchen. Though most kitchen walls are spoken for with plumbing, sinks etc. So there may not be room for a door.

Make sure you use white for the kitchen ceiling and upper walls to maximise light levels.

Nimby

8. gelf

gelf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I like the idea of a light pipe, something like this: http://www.sun-2-u.com/

There is a loft space above the HT room so I could possibly use one of these somehow, I'll have to have a think about it.