Internal tuner setup - and distorted picture (on an XS32)?

gmr

Standard Member
Reaction score
Another question on my Toshiba XS32. I have this connected AV2 - Sky (TV), and AV1 to TV (single) scart socket. There are no other inputs to my TV (except a composite on the front).

I do have weak reception (even with an amplified aerial) - but through the Toshiba box the reception is worse. Could this be a weaker receiver than on my TV or old Sanyo VCR (especially BBC2)? If not is there anything I should try? I have tried tweaking the tuner manually to no avail.

Another thing I can't get my head around is I have the tosh setup RGB both in and out. Which is fine until I want to watch from the terrestrial aerial when recording on Sky. How do I do this? The XS32 has a TV/DVR button but that doesn't seem to change to internal tuner channels. The only way I can find is to select TV on the Sky and come off AV on my TV remote. But then because I'm RGB output I only get sound and a blank screen!

And finally (sorry!), The picture looks good through RGB from Sky - but when I brink the prog info up, the right of the display box is distorted quite significantly. I didn't get this before I introduced the XS32. Anyone know what's causing this or how to fix it. My TV is a 4:3 Hitachi 21".

Many thanks and sorry for all the questions.

Cheers

Gidon

I have good reception and don’t use the analogue tuner much so haven’t see a problem, but yes it is possible that the XS32 internal tuner isn’t as good as your TV.

I’m a bit confused about your second question. If you wanted to watch terrestrial TV while recording Sky, wouldn’t you use the TV tuner? The XS32 can only tune one thing at a time; so if the XS32 is recording from AV2, it can’t also be tuned to e.g. BBC1.

Lastly – for the distorted picture: do you have the XS32 display settings set to 4:3 for “TV shape”?

Mark

Thanks for your quick reply Mark.
I understand your point re the tuner. But the trouble is trying to get just TV tuner results in a rolling picture on my screen. I thought this was because I have the scart input messing things up? Am I missing something or is my TV just strange?
I have both Sky and Tosh set as 4:3L - have tried the other settings but still get the distortion?
Thanks,
Gidon

If you use the "TV" button on the Sky remote to control the television, this will switch off the RGB signals from the Sky box and leave you with a sound only recording on the DVDR. If this happens push the "Sky" button on the remote to restore RGB pictures and in future only use the original TV remote control if possible.

Not sure about the distortion - what does it look like?
You have the XS32 setup for RGB input on AV2 and RGB output on AV1, right?

For the watching TV, when the Scart is active your TV probably automatically switches to that, but you should be able to move back to TV, using your TV remote (something like a TV/video button?). Again, you'll have to watch TV from your TV tuner if the XS32 is recording. You can watch one thing on the XS32 while it records another, but it can only be tuned to one thing at a time.

Mark

johnjackthom - good point - have to be careful of that now the scart output feeds into my tosh.

Mark - the distortion is like a > shape at the right of the info box. I don't really notice it on the picture itself though which is odd.
Yes I have a TV / AV button but when I select TV it still seems to take the feed coming from the scart and I get a rolling screen! If I unplug the scart from the back of the tv all is well??

Thanks,

Gidon

Gidon,

The TV/AV issue seems an issue with your TV.
The distortion on the display, I don't know... I don't have Sky.... I have a Freeview box and an XS32, and I haven't seen anything similar..

Mark

OK thanks Mark. I'll have to experiement further, but hopefully someone will come up with a workaround before me!
Cheers,
Gidon

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom