1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

internal to external sata bracket ?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Mr.D, Jul 13, 2004.

1. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,126
    I've been looking around for one of these and apart from one place in Canada they seem to be a bit thin on the ground.

Before I order from Canada ( and its a mac store !) has anyone seen any of these puppies closer to home .

Its a very simple extension lead from an internal sata port to a female plug on a neat little pci bracket.
    Some off the more recent motherboards actually ship with them so if anyone has nor use for theirs and they want to get rid of it I'd be grateful.

I can probably knock one up myself with a couple of spare cables and a blanking plate but it won't be as neat.

I've just bought a USB2/sata external HD enclosure and figure I might as well try and use the sata as its about 2-3 times quicker than USB2 apparently.

cheers

2. johnno

johnno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Keith,

I found this thread whilst looking for the same item. It took me a while to find what I wanted from the UK. So incase somebody else hits this thread here is what I found ...

A dual port SATA (not eSATA/SATA II) bracket is available from lindy at http://www.lindy.com/uk/productfolder/03/33/33121/index.php
    This product is likely to be the KB-116-2 from Lycom in Taiwan
    http://www.lycom.com.tw/KB116-2.htm

This is probably what you wanted as nearly all enclosures produced until recently use SATA connections not eSATA/SATA II connections.

Similar products I found with eSATA connections were:

Highpoint B11 (SATA to eSATA) - Avaialable from scan.co.uk
    Highpoint B22 (SATA to eSATA x 2) - Could not find in UK
    Again Lycom make a KB116-e2 http://www.lycom.com.tw/KB116-e2.htm

If you need a cable to convet from eSATA to an enclosure with a SATA interface then this cable is available in the UK

http://www.allmacstuff.co.uk/?page=proddetail&prod=5696

www.cooldrives.com in the US have all of these products and more and is a good place to look to see what's available in the market place, but as usual its pretty much impossible to get anything in the UK.

Johnno

3. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,126
    I actually ordered one from the place in Canada. It hadn't arrived after 3 months so I cancelled the order.

The bracket arrived about a month later!

As it turns out the USB2 port on my external drive case is fast enough to pull hidef over anyway!.

Thanks for the info though.

4. Paul Shirley

Paul Shirley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    Anyone compared it with Firewire? My WD Media drive seems about 2x faster using it than USB2, would put it pretty close to eSATA.

5. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    whatever you do, just be REAL carefull .... sata plugs are not the strongest in the world by any serious stretch of the imagination.

I thought about doing this for about 2 seconds, then destroyed a spanking new 250 sata drive (well the plug) and promptly opted for one of these.

Much more robust and safe.