Internal Speakers + Surround Sound and Sub problem LG Oled 2020

fi70

Novice Member
I have an LG GX TV (2020) which I have managed to mount on my wall with not a single cable visible (all routed behind the wall). It looks great, and also sounds great. Or at least, sounds good enough, that I don't want to clutter my perfect smooth viewing wall with any speakers or soundbar. The internal speakers are plenty loud enough for the room where I have it. However, I would like some surround speakers each side at the back of the room, and a sub-woofer somewhere out of sight. I cannot figure out a way to solve this. I really need your help!

1) WISA - there is no way to use WISA without disabling the internal speakers
2) HDMI - (eARC or otherwise) I don't think there is a way to get a signal without disabling the internal speakers (please correct me if I am wrong!)
3) Optical - I CAN get an optical signal without disabling the internal speakers (Setting = "Internal Speakers + Optical", interestingly it is also the factory default) BUT I can only get 2 channel sound out of the optical link in that mode (so not helpful for surround, but maybe work for sub..?)
4) Bluetooth - Conflicting information about whether the output is actually "surround" or just a stereo output. I have yet to test this, but am planning to. Even if it is some sort of "surround" it doesn't solve my sub-woofer problem.

Having made the investment in the TV(!!!) I'm quite happy to spend a bit to solve the sound issue... It seems strange that LG didn't think about this, given how awesome the TV looks with a clean install on the wall.

While I have the LG GX 77 2020 model but I think this problem is common to the CX and other models. But perhaps you have to have the GX to care about clutter at the front!

New to this fourm as a poster but very appreciative of all the help I have found here so far.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Forget about using the internal speakers and a surround system at the same time...it's one or the other.
The sound will be out of sync if you try to use both.

fi70

Novice Member
Forget about using the internal speakers and a surround system at the same time...it's one or the other.
The sound will be out of sync if you try to use both.
Well - with the Bluetooth option you can delay the Internal Speaker sound until it matches the Bluetooth - why couldn't LG make that available on more combos?

fi70

Novice Member
Hi @JayCee - solved with the bluetooth option. I have a Bluetooth amplifier under my couch, which feeds the left and right surrounds (and the signal is actual surround, not just R & L mix). The amplifier drives those speakers directly and also has a passive sub out which I use to drive a BlueSound Pulse+ Sub under the couch. All hidden, great sound quality and no lags - all in sync! I can recommend this type of solution for anyone else not wanting to clutter up the wall around a gallery mounted LG OLED.

tea2

Novice Member
@fi70 Seems like a great solution. Indeed I’ve also been weighing up getting a pair of portable Bluetooth speakers for that “Bluetooth Surround Ready” implementation that LG describes but share your nagging doubts about it. I echo Paolo's comment, it would be very much appreciated to get a little more detail on you set up here, what you're using and how you set this up (I’m pretty new to all this and trying to figure things out!)

Apologies if these are dumb questions, but this is just the standard issue Bluetooth connection set up directly from the TV? Do you need an amp that can receive an AptX connection or is that not needed? Is this just a standard-issue stereo amplifier otherwise? How do you get the TV/Amp combo determine which channels to send to the rear speakers and passive sub?

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom