• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Internal memory Mirroring what I save to my external Hard drive

GoDale13

Standard Member
Whenever I save anything on my external harddrive, my internal memory on my laptop automatically makes a copy of it. I really have to watch this, because it will fill my laptop memory up fast, and locks my computer up. Is there anyway that I can stop this? I rarely save anything on my laptop's memory, instead I use my external hard drive for just about everything.

Fe_man2000

Prominent Member
when you say memory I assume you mean harddrive - if so this is not a normal feature in windows so yes it can be turned off. How are you saving this data - what I mean is are you copying it to the external harddrive (making a duplicate) or are you saving ,for example, a word document to the harddrive from within word.

What I am getting at is you are duplicating your data somehow and we need to know how you are doing it to turn it off - windows doesnt do it on its own in normal situations.

GoDale13

Standard Member
I save directly to my external hard drive: within word, etc. I rarely save anything directly to my computer's hard drive and copy it over.

Also, whenever I go to rearrange anything on my external hard drive (make a new folder, move a picture/document, etc) my computer puts a copy of that on my internal hard drive.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom