Internal HDD media player supporting .ISO files

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Robie, Sep 26, 2018.

1. Robie

Robie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

First time poster - long time lurker here.

This is probably the strangest request in 2018 but I need a good internal hard drive multimedia player. I (or rather my folks) *don't* care about streaming or anything extravagant.

My faithful companion since 2009 (or earlier) Xtreamer died last week due to power surge. Xtreamer had simple interface which my folks & I loved and used it a lot. I just added lots of favourites to the front screen which they clicked, it displayed various files and chose the video and away it went. It played everything I threw at it, including H.264 and .ISO files (ISO is needed because I have converted lot of my old videos into digital). It was a Linux based media player.

Now, I tried the Android TV player but I find that it is too cumbersome. For starters, it takes a long time to start and most annoyingly it *doesn't* always start the USB plugged in hard disk. The folks are just having a bad time of it all and I can't find anything useful for them.

So, in this age of internet streaming and so forth, can someone suggest an internal hard drive player which plays h.264 (at least) and .ISO files please? My head is spinning looking for something useful.

Thank you and apologies for the long post.
    Regards

Robie

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
  2. Robie

Robie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No one can recommend anything? :(

What about something else in that case which does similar job? May be even where the hard drive stays alive when attached to the player? Another Linux player may be?

Thanks.

3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,091
  4. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,045
    Check out the Zappiti players, see the digital media forum for more info.

They can take internal HDD's with ISO support.

The only official AndroidTV box that is a competent media player is the Nvidia Shield, you'd have to pair it with Kodi or Plex (the shield can run Plex server and client which makes it unique).

5. Robie

Robie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Never heard of it but will check it out. Thank you very much.