Internal Ethernet cable used outside

GalacticaActual

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all.

I was given some Ethernet cable to run outside the house connecting the ground floor to the upstairs. At least 3/4s of the cable is exposed and will be in direct sunlight on a south facing wall.
I didn't know untill after installing it that it was internal cable and not rated for outside.
My question is then, realisticly , how long will internal cable likely last exposed to the good old English weather?

I would rather not have to take it all down again just after putting it up, but if its likely to last a couple of years then I will leave it untill then.
Has any one used cat5e internal out side?
If so how has it lasted?

Thanks.

Without wishing to sound rather glib - it depends on the weather. Received wisdom has it the UV is what "does" for them in the end, so I guess it depends how sunny successive summers are.

You might consider acquiring some cable trunking and retrospectively fitting it around your cables. Cable trunking is essentially a long thin "tupperware" box with a removable lid which might ease the pain of retrospectively installing it.

Without wishing to sound rather glib - it depends on the weather. Received wisdom has it the UV is what "does" for them in the end, so I guess it depends how sunny successive summers are.

You might consider acquiring some cable trunking and retrospectively fitting it around your cables. Cable trunking is essentially a long thin "tupperware" box with a removable lid which might ease the pain of retrospectively installing it.

Hi ,

I may do that, thanks, but if i don't , even it it lasts a couple of years its still been a bargain I supposed as the cable didn't cost anything.

:)

I have just replaced 2 lengths of clients cables, that was internal grade outdoors, that were 2 years old. One was weather damaged - resulting in water getting inside the outer sheathing and getting into the switch and destroying a port. The other run was vermin damaged.
Not all sheathing breaks down so quickly but it will become brittle with UV action over time. As long as the cable is well clipped, with clips at short spacing, so the cable can’t flex or move at all, you should be ok.

I have some outside and it's coming up to 4 years now. I inspect it now and again and looks fine, but this is in an area not exposed to direct sunlight at anytime.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom