Internal drive - WD Scorpio blue or black? Higher rpm or higher capacity?

wanderlust

Standard Member
Reaction score
I'm coming back on here after picking the brains of all you clued-up folk when it came to setting up my Acer One (AAO150) and changing it over to XP. The thing worked like a charm while I was travelling in India but that was only a 6 week holiday. I've got a longer one coming up to SE Asia and I'm doubting that the standard 120gb is going to be enough for me.

What's the main school of thought behind choosing drives? I know that a higher rpm should mean a slightly faster and more responsive unit in bench tests etc, but in the real world, as the drives fill up, is there much difference? I'm trying to find hard and fast info about the power usage as the little Acer One only has a 3 cell battery so if the higher rpm hits the battery significantly harder then I might plump for the more economical option. Are there any other things I should take into consideration?

I'm not amazingly gifted when it comes to taking the covers off and delving inside netbooks, or maybe that should read, "I've no idea what I'm doing having never done it:rolleyes:", but I'm willing to have a go and try and swap to a larger capacity drive. Is it something that you'd recommend a newbie to try? With regards to the actual drive to swap for, do those of you that have uprated all have the same drive and if so, what is it, or are there a few? From what I've read I think I've narrowed it down to one of the WD Scorpio drives, either the Black 320GB 7200rpm or the Blue 500GB 5400rpm. What's the general consensus? I've seen them both for around £64 including shipping so the price isn't going to sway me.

Thanks for taking the time to read through my post and to those of you who take a second to remember what it's like to start out on these things and opt to pop me a reply, you have my sincerest gratitude!:thumbsup:

If 320Gb is enough then I would go with the Blue 320GB 5400rpm drive (I have several) - it is only £39.99 from Play.com. I doubt you would notice the performance increase of a 7200rpm drive in a netbook and it will probably take a bit more power, run hotter and maybe noisier!

- Simon.

If 320Gb is enough then I would go with the Blue 320GB 5400rpm drive (I have several) - it is only £39.99 from Play.com. I doubt you would notice the performance increase of a 7200rpm drive in a netbook and it will probably take a bit more power, run hotter and maybe noisier!

- Simon.

So you can recommend the Blue's then? Seems like the more popular drive for the Acer One from what I've read on their forum.

Anyone got any opinions on a Scorpio Black (or comparable 7200rpm drives)? Does it run hotter, nosier and suck back the power?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom