• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Intermittent wi-fi network connection (second router issue)

nictry

Distinguished Member
I have been trying for some time (unsuccesfully) to extend/strengthen the wireless network in my house.

I thought I had solved the issue today when I connected a second wireless compatible router (Zyxek P660HWP) via a Cat5 into a switch/hub in my office with the main Sky router in the house. All was well instantly and I could connect an Ipod Touch wirlessesly to the new WIFI connection (different SSID/key) and all worked fine, however within minutes I had connected another 3 bits of kit (2xIphone and another touch) and suddenly there were problems with all of them, working one minute not the next, telling me no DSL connection when trying to use Safari on the Touch etc.

I dont understand how it can work one minute but not the next and am getting more annoyed that a simple task of adding a second wifi point in the house/office seems impossible (I should add I had tried wireless bridge options in the house on the same SSID/WEP and this would not work either as the connecting devices just kept losing their connection due to what appeared to be conflicts between the bridge and the Sky router

I wonder if I am just missing the obvious but today I have the two routers apart enough that neither sees the other connection so they should be independent and not conflicting in any way?

Hope I have explained this enough for some assistance?

nictry

Distinguished Member
Even more annoying now is that I have done as suggested on a few other websites and changed the 2nd router to the same SSID and used one channel different and again everything worked fine, in fact I have 3 connections working fine but when I went to add the next I get the same issues again, no internet connection and failed updates?

It almost seems it cannot cope with more than a little data being transmitted at any one time, problem is I cant leave it on as being on the same SSID the connections that tip it over the 'max' then wont work at all so even more useless than having a weak wireless connection for everyone!!!

beerhunter

Distinguished Member
"one channel different" is not enough because WiFi channels overlap. You need to be at least two channels away from any that are in use. (Including those by neighbours.) Try reading how to use inSSIDer in the WiFi FAQ to fid out what channel are in use locally.

Next the second router that you are using as a Wireless Access Point) MUST have its DHCP server switched off. This has been dealt with umpteen times and you should try a search on "two routers".

nictry

Distinguished Member
"one channel different" is not enough because WiFi channels overlap. You need to be at least two channels away from any that are in use. (Including those by neighbours.) Try reading how to use inSSIDer in the WiFi FAQ to fid out what channel are in use locally.

Next the second router that you are using as a Wireless Access Point) MUST have its DHCP server switched off. This has been dealt with umpteen times and you should try a search on "two routers".

Cheers and had switched DHCP off, however was only one channel different so perhaps that was affecting the connection?

nictry

Distinguished Member
OK, gave up with the original router as not sure it was actually working correctly as a WAP or bridge and bought a D-Link today which works a treat, all devices connect ok although I did go with a different SSID/passcode as on the same it seemed not to be working correctly

Anyway the problem is I just went to connect the laptop via wireless and it has no internet connection because the DHCP is turned off on the second router, now I am confused, all the Ipod/Touch connect fine and work perfectly but the laptop doesnt for the exact reason they do?

Am I missing something obvious or will I not be able to work the laptop through the second non-DHCP router?

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom