1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intermittent video output?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by SimonHod, Jan 23, 2005.

1. SimonHod

SimonHod
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi There, I wonder if anyone has any ideas on a problem I'm having.

I have a PC running XP Pro. I use it for playing games mainly and have started to try and get it up and running on my Optoma RD65 TV. I'd like to also utilise it for DVD playback. I've read up on software etc and have installed Powerstrip. I have a 256mb Radeon 9600 Pro Video Card installed (Newest Catalyst driver version). I can get a very good quality 1280x720 picture but it will turn off-on-off-on at what seem to be random intervals. The PC functions absolutely correctly when connected to my 19" TFT via DVI. Half-Life 2, Doom 3 etc all play very well. The problem is when the PC is connected to my RD65 via DVI I get an intermittent video feed. When the picture is displayed it is very good but it is as if the video signal cuts out. Certain actions seem to trigger it off more than others but it also appears to occur randomly (If that makes sense!). If the PC is left alone at the desktop the problem occurs very rarely, if at all. As an example - if I play a DVD in Zoomplayer the signal will cut out straight away. As soon as I close Zoomplayer the signal returns. When playing Doom 3 the picture looks great, but over a 3 minute period of playing, the video signal cut out 3 times (but each time returned within a second or so).

The TV's native resolution is 1280x720. So that is what I have Powerstrip set to. I've tried using Moninfo to query the TV and then copied the settings into Powerstrip but that results in no output whatsoever. I'm unsure how this could be cooking the video card as I usually have the resolution set to 1280x1024 on the TFT.

I'm sure in my newbie stupidity I am missing something obvious. I have a Athlon XP 2600+ and 1Gb RAM and a 400w PSU. Is it just that my PC isn't up to the task? Are the powerstrip timings where I should be concentrating my efforts?

Any help would be very much appreciated. I'm tearing my hair out with this!

Thanks in advance

Simon